Sid Mottram Build

allenh

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
I've not posted any of mine in a good while but I've been busy recently and worked through a group of five frames I've been promising myself I would do for a while and this is the first of the group I will post but one of the last I completed. I'll post some of the others when I can get a spare 5 minutes.

On a whim I bought a frame on ebay a little while back that the seller said was a Sid Mottram which I had no reason to doubt and after a bit of research I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it is. I'm not sure of the date of the frame but am pretty certain it's a Wally Green frame but any insight into it will be welcome.

This is the frame from the ebay add and looking quite sorry for itself. I did consider getting it re chromed as it had been chromed at some point but the quote I received to do it convinced me paint was the way forward for this project.

Attachments

• Sid 01.jpg
    Sid 01.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 1,780
A view of the top of the seat tube

Attachments

• Sid 02.jpg
    Sid 02.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,765
And this is the old girl on it's maiden ride after a hell of a lot of elbow grease, painting and assembly.

I've kept nowhere near period for parts but used parts I like and have to say I'm very pleased with the way it rides so this one is definitely a keeper.

The only things I'm going to replace will be the brakes as I have a better condition set on the way, possibly the saddle for a Brooks and possibly the wheels for 27's as they're 700's at the moment.

Attachments

• Sid 06s.jpg
    Sid 06s.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 1,779
Another view from the front

Attachments

• Sid 07s.jpg
    Sid 07s.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 1,769
Re:

That's a lovely paint job, where did you get it done? Great choice of colour.

It looks fine with the 700s IMO.

I did the paint myself and although I'm pleased with it, its by no means perfect as the frame was very marked so some of it I just couldn't get rid of, it also had some places where cable guides and stops had been removed so careful placing of the gear levers and brake cable clips had to be employed

The brakes I wanted to fit on it arrived today so with them fitted I think they look a lot nicer than the scruffy Mafac's that I originally had on it.

Attachments

• DSCF3024.JPG
    DSCF3024.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 1,702
Back