Peugeot HLE Premiere project (fixie to geared)

Info

Retro Newbie
Hey all,

This is my first post on the forums, so apologies if I do not keep to a certain etiquette that posts normally follow! As a quick introduction, this is my first project (so I've gone for something reasonably easy :LOL: ), but I have a reasonable knowledge of bikes and their maintenance - nothing outstanding though.

Through to the bike:
I recently got my hands on a Peugeot HLE Premiere. The previous owner removed the gears, leaving it with no downtube shifters or derailleurs, but still with the 6 speed cassette at the rear and 2 speed crank set. Aside from this the bike seems to be in reasonable condition, although will need new tires sometime this year.

oZv5A8Bm.jpg

My main aim for this project is to restore the bike to 12 speed, as I personally am not a fan of fixed-gear bicycles. However, as I said, this is my first project, and I've already been encountering things that I didn't know before, and issues that I need some outside help to solve! As I currently do not have access to the bike (in storage whilst I am moving), I've been unable to determine what type/size of braze-on downtube shifters it requires; and here I am hoping that someone will know :?:

Once I have purchased the correct downtube shifters, I'm going to dismantle an old Raleigh Nitro (10 gear) and use a majority of those parts on the Peugeot. I will hopefully be updating this thread as I go along, plus I'm sure I'll come across more questions!

DT shifters are all pretty much the same if the Raleigh you are breaking has them on you could use them.

kingbling":yhl5i4i3 said:
DT shifters are all pretty much the same if the Raleigh you are breaking has them on you could use them.

Unfortunately it has handlebar thumb shifters!

If you like, you're welcome to some old alloy Shimano friction ones FOC if you pm me your address - then you can see if they fit and if they do, help you get started while look for something better / that suits your groupset?

richardshill":2lzjslfg said:
If you like, you're welcome to some old alloy Shimano friction ones FOC if you pm me your address - then you can see if they fit and if they do, help you get started while look for something better / that suits your groupset?

That's a mighty kind offer, thanks! I'll be on a PC later so will send you a message. An amazingly helpful start to the project, and will, I'm sure,teach me something about bike parts

Sad days unfortunately! The downtube gear shifters didn't fit, but very grateful to richardshill for providing them :-D

Looks like I'll be spending some time on eBay in the near future to try and find some

Hmm, I was hoping to keep the costs a little lower but might not have too much option. I'm hoping to go out tomorrow and visit any and all local bike shops to see what they have in stock (although I can't imagine there will be any price differences compared to that)

Back