Dawes Vision

cherrybomb

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I still don't know much about this frame. I picked it up towards the end of last year off Eblag and started a topic over on the pre 97 chat forum to try to find some more info on it.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ilit=dawes

What I do know is it's a Dawes Vision bonded aluminium frame made sometime between 1990 and 1995 judging by the colour & style of decals.

Well, the work stand has come free, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to start on the build.

IMG_4328.jpg

I've sourced some steel Dawes forks which are attached using a Stronglite headset and also an XC9000 groupset, with 700c wheels, from a member on here.

I've started an initial cleaning of the components & I'm slowly building the bike up to se how it looks. Still not sure what I'm going to to with it. I could go drop bars with bar end shifters (no down tube stops for road shifters).

I'm tempted to get some cow horns though and build a posh tracker.

No need for a decision just yet though.

IMG_4330.jpg

IMG_4331.jpg

IMG_4332.jpg

IMG_4333.jpg

One thing I must say though.

I just LOVE the colour. :cool:

Re:

No love for the Dawes then? :cry:

I shall hang my head in shame & go sit in the corner. :D

Seriously; if anyone knows anything about these bikes I'd love to hear from you.

Were they a hybrid, tourer, CX bike???? The lack of down tube shifter mounts makes me think they had flat bars, but internal cable routing on a hybrid? Were they ever that posh??? If they were a tourer then they may have had bar end shifters I guess.

It's a lovely frame whatever.

I certainly agree on the colour. reminds me of my sorely missed townsend, even if it was in a slightly lower league in terms of quality. happy memories all the same. those are rather nice looking hubs too
what rims are those?

Re:

They did the Galaxy in the same purple, I've not seen another Vision though. This is a bonded aluminium frame using Sakae aluminium lugs.

I've got a full Suntour XC9000 groupset to go on it, the rims are Mavic 700c. No where near NOS, but good useable kit which should do the job very stylishly. I can't remember what model of rim they are & the bike is the other side of the country currently. I'll check when I can.

I just need to decide what way to go with the build. Drops with bar end shifters, or flat bars?

Re:

I rather like it. I had no idea Dawes made bonded frames, and usually consider myself a fan too. I guess they were made to compete with Raleighs Dyna Tech bikes. Will be interesting to see what it's like when finished.

Regards

Marge

Re: Re:

marge602":2b18hawc said:
I had no idea Dawes made bonded frames,

Neither did I, and I can find no substantial information on them other than a couple of old references on other forums and one photo from an old eBay ad that FluffyChicken turned up of a black framed tourer.

It would be nice to get a matching fork but the chances are slim to nil I'd imagine. I'm going to build it up with the XC9000 kit I've got plus drop bars & bar end shifters. Other than that I only need to source a seat post & saddle I think.

Back