Raleigh Panasonic ..... female version

Maca

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
With my 5 year old daughter now riding her Team Raleigh mini burner she asked me if we could help her mummy (my ex) get a bike. As I like to have a project I thought why not and asked my daughter if she would like mummy's bike to be the same colour as hers to which the answer was of course yes.

I started to see what was out there and came across this 10spd drop tube version

It looked a bit sorry for its self but was close enough, so I took a gamble and won it for the princely sum of £6.50 :)

Once I got it home I striped it down to see what was good and what was not.

The wheels, pedals, seat post and seat were gone but the rest cleaned up well. The frame really needed a re-spray but as this was supposed to be a cheap bike I did it my self with rattle cans really pleased with it just need to clear it now.

The decals were removed and sent off to Delcal Signs for new ones to be produced.

I then went on the hunt for some wheels but prices were silly so I found a donor bike instead a nice little Raleigh Chloe which was like new and cheap.

This was quickly striped down (felt a bit bad as it was lovely condition) and the parts matched up with what I had into a full component set. All parts from original bike and donor are now clean, new bar tape and gum walls tyres have been fitted. Just need to clear the frame, add the decals and re-build.

Pics of components:

Think its gona make a lovely little bike, hope you like so far.

Thanks, it should be a nice bike, this is the 3rd low end bike I've done and they come out really well. Its also nice saving some of the low end stuff and well as the obvious bikes.

Any way bit of an update the frame went badly wrong don't know what happened but the paint just wouldn't dry. Got hacked off with it and used the chloe frame instead with new paint and base coat rather than gloss paint. So far so good just waiting to clear it tomorrow and then get the decals on which arrived today pic to follow but as always a top job by Del at delcsalsigns.

These were what came off:

These are what I got back:

Very happy with Dels work again.

Maca":2sjq7cxr said:
Any way bit of an update the frame went badly wrong don't know what happened but the paint just wouldn't dry.

Wasn't Hammerite smooth was it ? Did my Ritmo in that blue and it took months to dry properly hard.

RubberLegs":3oy4ydi1 said:
Maca":3oy4ydi1 said:
Any way bit of an update the frame went badly wrong don't know what happened but the paint just wouldn't dry.

Wasn't Hammerite smooth was it ? Did my Ritmo in that blue and it took months to dry properly hard.

No it wasn't, in fairness I bought a cheap rattle can on line rather than getting it from my normal place which is a bit more expensive. Made a complete mess. I've used the 2nd frame which actually looks a better size for her and have used base coat colours. Its all dried perfect over night, get the clear on later today / tomorrow now.

Nice bike/ project. I have seen a mixte in " Panasonic" livery. Check my signature for my version, which contains some info about the race team.

Dave

Well its finished, ended up using the Chloe frame as it was a better size for a grown woman. I think its come out really well and there is something quite nice about saving and restoring a low end bike rather than always doing the high end stuff.

Back