Hand built frames discovery - help needed...

hopper1

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I'm currently doing a little work for a local charity hospice.
A couple of days ago, they did a house clearance and as part of the clearance, they brought back two very nice bikes to the depot.
The first, a Doug Empson was evidently the lady of the house's bike, and is quite a small frame. The second, ridden by her husband is a Witcomb.
The Epson has a Suntour Cyclone Mk II rear mech, with ARX front mech. Mafac brakes, with drilled levers. Interesting points to me, are the rear brake set inside the the seat stays and also a very short head tube. Ambrosio wheels are shod with Continental Giro tubs. It's incredibly light.
The Witcomb has a Simplex rear mech, Ambrosio wheels. I have yet to look closely at the rest of the spec.
The Hospice raises money to support itself, by selling off any usable items brought in, after a house clearance.
Nobody at the hospice has any idea, as to the value of a bike, and they were about to just post them to Ebay, under generic 'gent's bike' headings!
I'm trying to get an idea as to the real value of these beauties, so the charity gets as much out of them as possible.
If any of you guys can hazard a guess, or an informed quote on the value of each, I'd be very grateful.
Better still, making a sensible offer, would be mot welcome, too...

IMG_3833_zpsi7jbh7xa.jpg

IMG_3827_zpsosciycyx.jpg

Re:

Just going on those pics and the fact they both have nice TA Crank sets, I'd hazard a guess at around £200 - £250 a piece, but I'm fully prepared to be shot down in flames!

Steve

Depends on where you sell them, i.e Ebay or Gumtree or on here and if you are prepared to post them. Selling them on Ebay and posting them would give the best chance of a high value but you also need to factor in the fees Ebay takes. Looking at the specs I would say £200 to £300. Good luck with the sale

Back