Bianchi Mega Pro XL - Advice please

beauf

Devout Dirtbag
Hi All

My first post on the road bike bit! :D

I have a 1999 Bianchi Mega Pro XL that has unfortunately developed a crack in the head tube. :cry: Now I realise that welding this could be either expensive or not really possible. However, as the bike has a full Campag Record groupset I have been wondering if my best plan would be to get a new frame or frame and forks and simply move all the bits over.

I know it has a 27.2 seat tube and a 68mm BB shell and 1" steerer - has anybody got any bright ideas as to what frame I could get? Is this pretty much standard for this vintage?

To be honest I ride a mtb most of the time so much as it pains me to say it...not too expensive would be good.

cheers

beauf

It's all standard parts by the sound of it. 27.2mm seatpost points to the better quality end of the steel frames so if you pick a better quality frame in Reynolds 531 or one of the nicer Columbus steels then it'll use the same size seatpost and you'll be able to swap everything else straight over.

If you're attached to the frame in any way, another alternative is to get the head tube replaced. Bob Jackson have their price list online and it's £105 for a replacement head tube. Only issue is once you factor in some paint and shipping it there and back, it gets quite expensive and you can usually find a complete replacement frame for less.

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/repairs_pl.php

Re:

I think your only option is to find another frame.

On the plus side with those sizes the world is your oyster, and only the 1" steerer will limit your choices.

Personally I'd go hand made, steel, made in the UK.

Back