Vitus KAS Builds, this is why I build retro bikes :-)

Doubledee

rBotM Winner
Sometimes people ask me why I love building and riding retro bikes and why from a particular era? The answer is simple, I grew up and raced in the 80's and through the 90's and therefore spanned a major change in bike technology from clipless pedals to STI/Ergo shifting etc. Also and more importantly my builds are modelled on the riders too who were even more iconic. I've built 2 KAS replica bikes over the last 3 years and they are well documented here in the links below, one carbon and one aluminium.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=246927 Blue Vitus 979 with Mavic SSC as Sean Kelly rode in Paris Roubaix in 1986

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=277633 Vitus FCK Carbone 9 (ok so not a carbone kevlar!) with Mavic SSC as Kelly rode to victory in the 1988 Vuelta Espania

NEVER EVER did I imagine that I would get to meet the great man Sean Kelly, and not only that spend most of my week in Majorca eating , chatting , and riding with him as part of the Sportactive cycling holiday.

So please have a look at the builds and the recent pictures of him signing my 1980's KAS Jersey, cap, and prints of the bikes I'd built. He was a true gentleman and very interested in the builds and had this note about the aluminium 979's....The wheels and rims went on forever, the frames however "lacked feel after a couple of months racing so they were changed regularly" :)

THIS IS WHY I BUILD RETRO BIKES, AS SOMETIMES YOU GET TO REALISE CHILDHOOD DREAMS :)

Best wishes Darren

Attachments

• Kelly Jersey.jpg
    Kelly Jersey.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,531
  • Kelly Jersey Sign.jpg
    Kelly Jersey Sign.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,531
  • Kelly cap sign.jpg
    Kelly cap sign.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 1,531
  • Kelly & Me.jpg
    Kelly & Me.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,531
  • Kelly signed gear.jpg
    Kelly signed gear.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,532
Re:

Supercool, Can't see that jersey ever seeing e-bay ;) He mentioned on eurosport that he hopes to display his jerseys and trophies to the public in Carrick on Suir later this year. There is an An Post/Chain Reaction youtube video showing the current riders looking at the jerseys and trophies he collected over the years. Its jaw dropping stuff!!

Regards,

Pat

Re: Re:

cloonaghpat":1yr3smqn said:
Supercool, Can't see that jersey ever seeing e-bay ;) He mentioned on eurosport that he hopes to display his jerseys and trophies to the public in Carrick on Suir later this year. There is an An Post/Chain Reaction youtube video showing the current riders looking at the jerseys and trophies he collected over the years. Its jaw dropping stuff!!

Regards,

Pat
Thanks Pat
Could you post a link to the video?

Back