Dave Lloyd Concept TT Geometry

Wold Ranger

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Recently acquired this relatively rare frame and built it up as a fast road hack-about, for my vertically challenged frame. The Paint job is the usual Zany as if you have been on the weed-bad trip esque air brush jobbie, which is certainly eyecatching!
It's a 54, but has the horizontal top tube and short head tube for TT purposes, although it isn't particularly twitchy built up as shown and holds a line nicely, with no "noodley" feeling from the front end
Tubing is Dedaccia Zero, with frame, AeroBlade Carbon fork and headset weighing in at sub 4 pounds.
Shifters/Mech's/Cassette are D/Ace 7700 9 speed, Chainset/Headset Stronglight, Cnc'd Mr Ride Lever Cam brakes, Taiwanese, had plenty of sets of these and offer loads of Modulation, but can lock up with ease and weigh sub 200g the set all in.
Deliberately kept away from mainly Italian componentry, complete build is nicely under 8 kilo's without going mad on a super lightweight saddle and post, as it is recommended to use a long post on these, well past the top tube, as folks were tempted to use a short seat post and seat clusters were prone to Cracking (350mm used here)
The ride isn't coarse, but remarkably stiff for a skinny tubed steel bike.
I toyed with the idea of Funny bars and bar end levers, but went with a nice compact conventional short reach set of drops.

Beautiful!

Re:

Took it for a shakedown ride today and don't want to sound Cliche'd, but it is a seriously fast bike, you certainly need good brakes!
Took it over our local beacon, which is around 22% up for a mile or so, but up to 30% going down the other side, with bends! I started to question brake reliability and handling around the bends, when the Garmin touched 70km/hr and I bottled out, sat up and skimmed some speed off (getting too old now :facepalm: )
The higher mounted shifter bosses, make for easy shifts as they are not much of a reach down, quite addictive to ride. ;)

Thats a wicked looking bike, and boy it's light - that's almost 18 lbs!

Nob":qcfp1gl2 said:
Headset looks monstrously big......

I thought that too, but it's just the shape of it, with the single top race. Rather strangely, the stack height is less than most conventional two nut style threaded headsets. It's a roller bearing, which is always recommended for short head tubed frames.
The top race had been removed a few times with a set of pipe grips :shock: rather than the proper tool and had some nasty burrs, so I re machined this, as there was plenty of metal and then polished it up.
You often see these pop up on Ebay and they usually go for good money, so they must be well rated.

The low weight is helped by the Dura Ace kit and American Classic BB, which only weighs 147g including Crank bolts. The Bars/Stem/saddle/wheels/tyres/Ti Skewers/Ti Pedals all are towards the lighter end and it has Latex tubes fitted. I had a Cinelli XA stem in to start with, but that was far too flexy.

Looks like one of those Mavic 315 headsets. It just looks out of proportion because of the frame being very small.... A stronglight A9 may look better??

Re:

t's a Stronglight X94, which were their range topping model, back then- with inverted top taper roller bearing race, to prevent the rocking that was encounterd with the A9 in shorter head tubes, Dave Lloyd recommended and fitted these for that reason, to reduce stress on the front section of top and down tubes. It came as OEM with the frame I believe. Replacement races and rollers are still available. Miche and Mavic both did a very similar one, which all seem to trade NOS at around £80 to £100 still.

Back