Molinari Chromevalato

bikenut2010

Senior Retro Guru
Well I couldn't resist this from a mate near Naples in Italy, he's found me some nice rides but this was looking more than a little run down; plenty of pitting and chromevelato is notoriously delicate, but I thought I'd take it on.

It arrived today and looked like a box of problems, do first step was to unpack, dismantle, inspect and clean.

as usual, the callipers came up clean once the grime was removed, the hoods were perished and the levers need de-grazing.
Bars and stem are very nice once the tape was off and I worked on the chrome forks and stays with aluminium foil and vinegar, then 00 grade wire wool and WD40

The lacquer is delicate, so soapy water then autoglym.

BB spins well but needs a bit of play sorting, and headset bearings are in need of replacement.

I have a nuovo record pair of levers, front mech and may hunt for a rear ( I do have SR but that's for another build...)

The spokes are in shocking state, so much work needed to bring them back from the dead but bearings are good in the hubs. Some pics of the story so far, more to come...

Attachments

• Molinari - 2.jpg
    Molinari - 2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,456
  • Molinari - 1.jpg
    Molinari - 1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,453
  • Molinari - 3.jpg
    Molinari - 3.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,454
  • Molinari - 4.jpg
    Molinari - 4.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,454
  • Molinari - 11.jpg
    Molinari - 11.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,455
  • Molinari - 12.jpg
    Molinari - 12.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,453
Re:

so all parts cleaned awaiting polishing, frame washed and waxed, first stage of chrome renovation underway...

Attachments

• Molinari - 25.jpg
    Molinari - 25.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,452
  • Molinari - 22.jpg
    Molinari - 22.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,452
  • Molinari - 30.jpg
    Molinari - 30.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,453
  • Molinari - 31.jpg
    Molinari - 31.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,452
  • Molinari - 17.jpg
    Molinari - 17.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,452
  • Molinari - 26.jpg
    Molinari - 26.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,453
Looks a very nice bike so go for it - I hope you are successful - with my abilities, I'd wreck it :facepalm: Perhaps a new set of spokes would be a better choice than the moth-eaten ones you have inherited :?:

colnagolover":1aig0q90 said:
Looks a very nice bike so go for it - I hope you are successful - with my abilities, I'd wreck it :facepalm: Perhaps a new set of spokes would be a better choice than the moth-eaten ones you have inherited :?:

Yeah, already in there, it arrived today...the pics are in my back yard, showing unpacking and cleaning in progress! Wheels deffo a big challenge! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Looking good mate!
I am looking forward to seeing this all polished and gleaming when you've got it sorted.

Jamie

Allot of work ahead if you want to bring that back to its former glory

Some work in process!
All parts removed and soaked 24 hrs in a bowl of coca-cola ( diet...not sticky!)

Now polishing starts...

seatpost, very chunky and agricultural looking before and after...

and skewers, before and after ...

frame on some wheels gives you an idea of the build, lots of rust removed and chrome polished

Attachments

• IMG_2328.JPG
    IMG_2328.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 1,358
  • IMG_2327.JPG
    IMG_2327.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,359
  • IMG_2330.JPG
    IMG_2330.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,359
  • Molinari - 6.jpg
    Molinari - 6.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,347
bm0p700f":1kg25jo0 said:
What do you use for polishing as my attempts with auto sol have been unsuccessful.

Autosol is really the last stage; it depends on what you are polishing and how bad it is.
The seat post was heavily scored but, being alloy, wasn't rusted. Grazed brake levers etc, the same process: If the scoring is really deep, you can use a file or just go far enough to get an acceptable result, it's not new after all! This lever needs more work...

First stage is to remove the scoring by working through progressive grades of emery paper; 250 grit, 500 grit, 800 grit dry then wet ( use a little oil or WD40 as a lube ) then 1200 grit and soap, finally 00 steel wool and THEN autosol.

Chrome which it pitted needs aluminium foil and vinegar, then 000 steel wool or better, copper wool , softer and doesnt scratch the chrome.
Here's the forks which looked shocking...
now a bit better

Attachments

• Molinari parts - 1.jpg
    Molinari parts - 1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,321
  • Molinari parts - 2.jpg
    Molinari parts - 2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,321
  • Molinari parts - 4.jpg
    Molinari parts - 4.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,321
  • Molinari - 2.jpg