1975/76 Olmo Competition

predki

Retro Guru
I've just finished building a bike for my girlfriend so I thought that I'll share some pictures. I bought the frame off the fleabay, it's early seventies (my guess) Olmo Competiton built with Columbus SL tubing. Paint is not in the best shape, but not in very bad as well, a few usual scratches, not any dents. Decals unfortunately are peeling off even with light rubbing. Chrome in very good shape. The frame came with Hatta Swan headset, Campagnolo Gran Sport bottom bracket and gear shifters - all in excellent condition. I changed the shifters for Simplex retrofriction and keep the rest. All others components I had around... (when and how did it happen that I have parts for few bikes?... mystery...). So for now there's Campagnolo Record: seatpost, chainset, brakes (with new Koolstop pads), front and rear derailleur. Cinelli A1 stem and Criterium bars, Shimano 105 levers with new hoods. The wheels are Campagnolo Record hubs and MA2 rims, Vittoria Open Corsa SC. The pedals on the picture are for my test ride and will be changed. Few pictures:

IMG_20150418_125351855.jpg

IMG_20150418_125454971.jpg

IMG_20150418_125436875.jpg

IMG_20150418_125616220.jpg

IMG_20150418_125624198_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150418_125609719.jpg

Re: Olmo Competition

Very nice indeed! I wouldn't worry about the paint and decals, it's original and elegant...
Decals are freely available so could be replaced, but generally a few good coats of wax polish bring out the patina and looks wonderful

Re:

Thanks! The bike looks very nice and shiny :) When I told my girlfriend that I'm going to build her a bike she was very happy, so I've found and bought a decent frame in her size and her favourite colour (blue). I was thinking to build it up with some modern components (modern in my terminology... some nice ergo shifters, etc.), but she said to build it up close to the original :D with the parts I've already had scattered around. So at the moment only Shimano brake levers are sticking out of "period correctness", but I think the bike doesn't look bad with that.
There are some changes since build up. Pedals were changed for some modern Lyotard touring copies without toe-clips. The new pedals came with overtightened nuts so they were barely turning, but I adjusted them and as for now they seem to be ok.
I couldn't find the proper replacement decals... There are some on ebay, but none matching and If changing, I would prefer to have close to original, if possible. So for now it stays as it is.
The frame has really nice shade of blue and goes really nice with white accents and chrome.
The frame has 'MAST' sticker on the back of seat tube, just below the seatpost. All the Olmo frames I've seen during research had 'OLMO' there. Wander what does it mean. Rider name?
IMG_20150307_135628026.jpg
IMG_20150307_135241470.jpg

Back