jasper

Retro Newbie
Here's my bike in the current state:

Full Ultegra 600 groupset,
53-42 chainset,
7sp block 13-19,
Mavic Mach 2 CD tubular wheelset with Ultegra hubs & Continental tubs,
Iscaselle Giro D'Italia saddle & Ultegra seatpost,
Profile TT bars (unsure of model) with Ultegra stem (originally had Cinelli bars, which I still have),
Bikestream aero drink system (looks like a saddle bag, straw tywrapped to top tube and bars),
Avocet 50 computer,
Ultegra PD-6500 pedals (originally had Look pedals),

I bought it in '92 and it's been dry stored since about '99. I'm going to restore it, put the road bars back on, etc. I'm not sure if I should upgrade to STIs though, and if so, should I put a 11sp block on; thoughts...?

Not come up too bad, seeing as I haven't cleaned it, just a wipe over with a damp rag:

Re:

That's nice, I think the Astore is a highly underrated bike, that said, mine is now in storage (too many bikes, not enough room).

I built mine up with modern STI shifters and running gear as I wanted a practical retro, but as it's your bike, you can pretty much build it up the way you want it. :mrgreen:

Agree that some road bars will suit this well. Personally I would look into finding a 6402 rear hub to convert to 8 speed cassette and rebuild the rear wheel & some matching STI's and a 6401 rear derailleur - fairly straight forward way of getting the benefits of STI's without having to change everything en-mass. Plus you can get upto 28 teeth on a suitable cassette so a nice gearing range.

Agree with Neil, Concorde's are underrated - mine is my Sunday best, and although a bit underused, it's a joy to ride.

Thanks for the comments guys. I used to love this bike.
I've just bought a new Giant road bike, so may keep this one retro.

I'm taking off the TT bars/aero drink system and replacing them with the original Cinelli road bars. I'm still undecided to rebuild, using STIs/11sp block. I've never actually used them before, this was the last bike I rode, before life got in the way. But my legs cant push those gears anymore :) so will definitely consider changing the block. I think I have some spares, to convert up to 25 teeth.

I've made a few changes:

Full Ultegra 6800 groupset,
50-34 chainset,
Hollowtech ii R-60 BB,
11sp block 11-25,
Giant PA-2 wheelset with Giant PSL1 tyres (I had them spare but compliments the look),
Fizik Arione K5 saddle & Cinelli Neos carbon seatpost,
Cinelli Neos carbon bars & stem,
Cinelli Kaleido bartape
Lifeline carbon pro bottle cage,
Ultegra SPD-SL 6800 pedals,

Some may think I committed the ultimate sacrilege, but now brought into the 21st century (looks a bit washed out, but looks much better in the "flesh":

Back