Joe Waugh ready for winter testing

Dale cannon

Senior Retro Guru
After finally finding time to melt the seatpost out (hence the battered paintwork) and finding a 26.8 seatpost I thought it was high time I got this built up and on the road.

I'm still undecided on final colour or, indeed, if I will keep it so thought I might as well get it built and rack up some miles over the Christmas period to see how it rides.

It will be the first time that I have used downtube shifters in anger so that may take some time to get used to but they felt ok on the test ride outside my house.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 783
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 781
First test ride over, 30 mile loop including 4 cat 4 climbs and 2,000ft of climbing.

I was around 1/2 a mph slower than my much lighter but bigger geared Cannondale over a similar route.

Seems to ride ok despite a clunking headset and mysterious knocking from the back.

The bars have a disturbing amount of flex compared to the compacts I'm used to, I found the deeper drop gave a noticeably more aerodynamic position whilst descending at pace but weren't as comfy during the rest of the ride.

Downtube shifters didn't take too much getting used to, don't know if I'd trust myself just yet with them on a club ride though.

I'll try and sort the headset out tonight and get some more miles in tomorrow.

Re:

I had that weird knocking at the rear of the bike - turned out rear wheel hub needed a rebuild plus oodles of grease...

I've had lots of trouble with the rear wheel, I've had the set for over 10 years but the rear has constantly gone out of true, freehub failure and the bearings needing constant adjustment.

They were built by Dave Hind and I've come to the conclusion that the rear was a Friday afternoon special.

Latest posts

Back