Raleigh Olympus

alex crawford

Retro Newbie
Hi,

Just joined the forum.

In 1978 my granny bought me a Raleigh Olympus 5 speed for my Xmas. A month or so ago while browsing through Ebay I found someone selling an Olympus and as they were quite local I bought it.

My plan was to strip it down, renovate and rebuild it. The frame had a lot of surface rust but the rest was in good nick. All the metal work just needed a polish with some wire wool. I couldn't do much about the frame so it was stripped and cleaned up ready for a respray.

When I was rubbing down the paint I found a name under a couple of layers of paint, Dan Duffy. Could he have been part of the team at Raleigh who built the bike?

More to follow as I make progress.

Alex

BITD we used to put our names on our bikes just like that :D Either small paintbrush and some humbrol enamel or small transfers from the cocal bike ship.

I don't ever remember that colour blue for an olympus though, Is there a number on the frame somewhere ?

Good work by the way.............

Shaun

Well, if you're going to find secret writing on a frame then "Dan Duffy" is much nicer to find anything in Latin with weird astrological symbols - or references to the Necronomicon.

I had one of these as a kid too! Great paintjob - same as mine I think - but my memory is that the bars and controls made them horrors to ride.

Re:

Thanks. I found a shade of blue at Halfords that's almost a perfect match.
The original blue under the decals is slightly darker. The bike also came in red as well.

Also got some new decals from Ebay. The wheels are not too bad for being 30 odd years old. Would like to get the original tan/black tyres for it as well.

Just been out to the shed. The only number of the frame is the frame/serial number HH0151328

Alex

Great to this old machine, my first proper bike was an Olympus back in 1976.

Re:

After spending the winter months in the shed the bike has finally been finished. Still got some bar tape to add and carry out one or two tweeks.

Attachments

• IMG_0841.jpg
    IMG_0841.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 1,364
Thanks. I could only find two of the decals. I'll fit a set of original lights once I get a hold of them, and I still need to tidy up the rear carrier as well.

Back