Brian Rourke

dtd

Dirt Disciple
Apologies for repeating myself a bit, I bought a Rourke in need of a bit of TLC off the forum and shared the pictures of the finished bike on the sale thread – as people will probably not have seen those, I thought I'd share them more widely here…

It started when my mate (who's the Mayor of Bakewell) rang me and said L'Eroica would be doing a Britannia edition and would I be interested. I definitely was, but needed an vintage bike to do it on – I won't bore you with the several false starts, but skip to buying a Brian Rourke f that had seen better days or a goodish price. I'm pretty (well very) c**p at most practical things, but managed to strip it down and hunt about for some new wheels, tyres, cables, bar tape, chain and cassette – my aforementioned lack of practical skills sent me off to the local bike shop to put it all back together again – I'm glad I did as I fell foul of the modern versions of 27" wheels won't clear the frame properly and 700c wheels won't align with the brakes. The best we could do (for now) is a 27" wheel on the front and a 700c on the back.

So it's back and ready to be risen in L'Eroica Britannia in a couple of weeks and then it's probably going to be put up for sale (expressions of interest welcome) as it's too small to ever be comfortable for me (21.5" frame). So a bike for one ride? I've really enjoyed finding it and all the bits and am pleased that a nice, classic bike like this is back on the road, also surprised by just how good it rides and how well the friction gears shift (last bike I had like that was nearly 40 years ago and I put it in third and left it there).

And I doubt it will be the last old school bike I ever own.

Attachments

• Rourke 1.jpg
    Rourke 1.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 920
  • Rourke 2.JPG
    Rourke 2.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 920
  • chain ring.JPG
    chain ring.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 920
  • handlebars.jpg
    handlebars.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 920
Nice work there ... I'd route the brake cables behind the handle bars ...

Wow, that's a thing of real beauty, even with the suicide levers – looks like you've done an excellent restoration there!

The colour scheme is a dead ringer for my 80s Ian May racer too! :cool: So, naturally, I approve.

@ Montello: Think you are right there, it does look a little odd as it is and I couldn't quite place why.

@ Diamant_Don: A few people have commented on the suicide levers – they were what was on it when I got it, it looks like it had been used as a tourer.
If I were going to keep it, I'd look at something more appropriate, but as it's going to get sold after L'Eroica Britannia I'll leave that for the next owner.

Re:

That's a really pretty looking Rourke.

I decided at Bespoked Bristol 2012 that a modern Rourke was my dream bike. I was lucky enough to find a 2004 frame and fork on this very forum last year and I am currently in Scotland riding mine.

Good luck with your ride at L'Eroica.

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

I went to Bespoked Bristol in 2013 and at London this year – there is an honesty about Rourkes – not flashy, but a real bike to ride (that probably makes no sense at all, but neither do most things we get excited by).

I'm seriously thinking about having a bike made for me – whatever it is I think it'll have a retro look to it.

Re:

I was also at Bespoked in 2013, which was where I confirmed I really wanted a Rourke.

I know exactly what you mean, mine is built up as light as is sensibly affordable and has come out at 8kgs including carbon Mizuno forks, and lightweight hand made wheels from Malcolm at the Cycle Clinic. On Sunday I rode the Isle of Mull sportive, which has some stiff climbs (4,000 ft in total), fast descents (I topped 70kph on one of them) and some twisty 180 downhill switchbacks, all of which were handled with ease, giving me more and more confidence as the ride went on.

I am sure there are lots of bikes that ride well, but there is something about a Rourke that is just.. down to earth.

I heard that Mr Rourke himself organises the Cat and Fiddle Challenge – which isn't that far from where I live – and it's in aid of Cystic Fibrosis charity, which my cousin died of when we were 12 – maybe something I should do before the bike's sold – though I think I'd struggle to do it on any bike.

Re:

Doesn't look like it's running for 2014, so plenty of time to get in training. :mrgreen:

Re: Re:

NeilM":2alwi7m1 said:
Doesn't look like it's running for 2014, so plenty of time to get in training. :mrgreen:

I'll not have the Rourke by next year, so that'll be my excuse ;-)

Back