The Raleigh ...... build (advice on decals rqd, see page 3)

MrW

Senior Retro Guru
UPDATED 03/06/14

Thanks to some wheels bought on here from wilkij1975 this 'project' has begun.

Add to that some brand new free Conti tyres, again, thank you to this forum, and it's already gathering pace!

Just wish I knew what the frame was, and what year it dates from, but as yet my efforts have proved fruitless.

Might be Ti, might be Aluminium, all I know is it replaced a broken Dyna Tech frame, and the previous owner said that was circa 1992.

Pic's so far:

Updated 04/06/14 (until rain stopped play!)

Re: The Raleigh ? build....

The thick welding beads suggest that it's aluminium as Ti usually has much thinner welds. Can't help with the rest, I'm afraid!

Re:

Looks a like a 1 inch steerer tube, so you'd want a 1 inch threadless headset. Threadless headsets have become 1 1/8 inch over time so 1 inch is old but there are still some models at various price points. Your best bet is then to shim the steerer sticking out at the top to 1 1/8 which will allow you to use a 1 1/8 inch stem and you might want some 1 1/8 spacers which give you a little adjustment on the height of the spem if you have enough steerer showing through. If you look down into the steerer tube you should see a 'star spangled nut' which holds a bolt from the headset cap. If not you'll get one with a headset which you need to fit acrefully - there's a tool for the job. This arrangement is to help you get the correct tension on the bearings not to hold it. It's the stem clamping onto the steerer that holds the whole lot together.

Back to headsets...

Which do I need, external cup, internal or integrated ??

Whilst I have no grasped the concept of how this all fits together, I'm still at a complete loss

:-(

OK, so now onto the 'actual build'

My tool box is somewhat devoid of new type bike tools, so any input suggestions on the following please

1) Fitting a Hollowtech 2 BB - who uses which spanner, or should I just drop into the LBS?

2) Fitting the FSA Headset - do I invest in a headset press, hit it with a rubber mallet as hard as I can, or drop into the LBS?

3) Fitting Shimano Cassette - I guess I need a tool to lock it on?, and if so, which one? (or back to the LBS again)

Sorry for all the questions, but this is as modern as it gets in my garage (for now) so up until now I've not needed these type of tools!

In essence, I'm looking for recommendation's of tools being used, and if anyone has spares of what I am looking for and would like to exchange them for beer tokens, then please PM me! :)

Re:

I have the correct tools for all three of those jobs, but unless you are going to be building / rebuilding more bikes with similar kit, then the only tools you really should invest in are a cassette tool and a chain spanner / whip. These are cheap and you will use them over and over.

The headset and BB are probably best handled by the LBS, not because they are difficult jobs, they're not, but just because they are so easy with the right tools and so easily cocked up with the wrong ones.

Back