My Pollard / Holdsworth - better pics page 3

cycletothesea

Retro Guru
Presenting my Pollard - Reynolds 531. This frame was resprayed in the original colours 20 years ago by Pollard and was, I'm told, hardly ridden from that day to this. Bought it a few months back as it looked brilliant. However, I've done a bit of soft restoration on it.
The bottom bracket, headset, cranks, rear derailleur, saddle, brake cables, stem, handlebars have all been replaced and on a whim decided to stitch the handlebars in leather wrap.
Anyway, don't see many Pollards around - I'm told the frame would have been supplied to Pollard by Holdsworth, as it's pretty much the same frame as my Super Mistral.

Attachments

• Pollard Road Bike 2.JPG
    Pollard Road Bike 2.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 1,197
  • Pollard Road Bike 1.JPG
    Pollard Road Bike 1.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,196
  • Pollard Road Bike 6.JPG
    Pollard Road Bike 6.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,196
  • Pollard Road Bike 7.JPG
    Pollard Road Bike 7.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 1,197
  • Pollard Road Bike 3.JPG
    Pollard Road Bike 3.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 1,197
  • Pollard Road Bike 5.JPG
    Pollard Road Bike 5.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 1,198
  • Pollard Road Bike 4.JPG
    Pollard Road Bike 4.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 1,197
Re: My Pollard

Now that's such a nice machine :)

Looks like late 60's when the trend was for plain Italian style lugs and the fully sloping crown.......plus all the braze ons. :) Forks and stays were as thin as possible with the fork rake starting just a little higher up the blades. Glorious :)

It needs some brakes that work on the other side so the rear brake cable does not cross the frame but that's minor....

Shaun

PS what's the chainset?

The cranks are a Stronglight 52/42. I was going to use a nice Campag I have but the bottom bracket axle was too long and didn't want to bother changing. The Stronglight cranks have a recess inside and so sit further in than the Campags. Not really happy with the rear brake cable, I've shortened it too much I think, so will change that.

However, according to Eddie Pollard (via Roger Langworth at Classiclightweights) this bike is not actually a Pollard at all. It's a Holdsworth which the previous owner, for some reason, had resprayed as a Pollard AT the Pollard shop. Curiously though, it doesn't have a Holdsworth serial number - the BB and the rear dropout are stamped 005. So, I'm really struggling to find out where it came from originally. It is 100% identical to my Holdsworth Super Mistral in everything except the paintjob.

Re:

Nice to see a good Pollard on here: )
Here's mine.

Quite an oldie, but the Hellenic stays are quite unusual.
Top Coventry builder in the day.

More pics available if asked for: )

Here's another:

Lovely bike 'as found' here: )
Pollard made some gorgeous bikes before he sold out/retired.

Ah! A Pollard cantilever :) that second one looks like a carltin with the Crespea type lugs.

Pollard / Holdsworth................. still a classy looking machine, TA cranks would also look the part :)

Shaun

Midlife":1obkjcj8 said:
Pollard / Holdsworth................. still a classy looking machine, TA cranks would also look the part :)
Shaun

Didn't like the TA cranks, and they were a shit to remove. I guess it will have to stay as a Pollard/Holdsworth hybrid and if I decide to upgrade the BB I'll fit my campag cranks which are waiting for a project. Can't find anybody at all who can throw any light on the 005 frame number. So I don't really know what it was intended as originally.

and here is another one

this one has rear ward facing drop outs so originally might have been a path or track frame , really thin rear stays .

its covered coming close to 1 k in a year doing commuting leisure and sunday rides , at some point soon its coming of the road for some down tube levers replacing the thumb shifters that are bar mounted at mo .

i have always wanted a Coventry area bike so this is it .

how many more are there

From what i can remember Mr Pollard's is still alive and living on one of the baleric islands

Attachments

• pollard6.JPG
    pollard6.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,122

cycletothesea":28ptzvxa said:
Presenting my Pollard - Reynolds 531. ......

A fantastic looking bike - beautiful, even if you are unable to uncover the pedigree (or lack of it ;) )

colnagolover

colnagolover":1nl92ys3 said:
cycletothesea":1nl92ys3 said:
Presenting my Pollard - Reynolds 531. ......
A fantastic looking bike - beautiful, even if you are unable to uncover the pedigree (or lack of it ;) )
colnagolover

Thanks. May have to remain a bit of a mongrel - albeit a classy looking one. Coming by information on some of these old frames that don't have correct frame number type is pretty much impossible.

Back