Concorde Gavina SL - restoration finished!

Robster914

Retro Guru
I couldn't help myself, so this has landed in the shed. I always loved the PDM colour scheme and the era of Roche/Delgado et al. Now I have a conundrum as to what to do with it! Keep it as a 'rat' bike? Or do a full resto. Happy to receive any suggestions...

[URL=http://s142.photobucket.com/us...ster914/Concorde Gavina/imagejpg1-3.jpg[/img][/url]

If there are any Concorde experts who could date it that would be great. The only markings on the BB are 56 (size) & 'SL' for the tubing. Looking at the decals I am guessing late '80s.

Re: Concorde Gavina SL

For me...it would have to be a full refurb, do love those frames.

Then a silver Campagnolo groupset, maybe modernish 10 speed stuff from the mid/late 2000's and it will still look a classic styled road bike.

Re:

Given the paint scheme, tubing and the fact it looks just like the pictures from the 1989 brochure, I'm going to stick my neck out here and say....... :mrgreen:

I have an 89 Astore in stars and stripes paint, and, like most of my bikes, I decided to retromod it with SRAM Force, but I think yours would look better with silver finished components, so I'd be very tempted to go Campag.

Incidently, the Italian flag on the top tube MAY indicate the frame was made by Ciocc, but this may just be an urban myth often repeated. My Astore has a striking resemblance, in many small details, to my Basso Gap; what is for sure is that a wide variety of frame builders supplied Concorde with frames, many of them (if not all until more recent times) were Italian.

I look forward to see what you make of your Gavina.

Re:

Well, the old girl sat in the garage unloved for a couple of months. After mulling over what to do I decided there was only one course of action. Refurb her myself...

Now I appreciate there are some very talented people on this forum, so please treat me gently as I dive in head first on this one.

Taking inspiration from the catalogue fiks had added to the catalogue section of the forum, there was only one way to go with this, a 'Croce D'Aune' build up. Nothing like a challenge eh...

Photos will follow very shortly.

Re: Concorde Gavina SL - restoration

may be they decided to fit race number hangers to all these.good luck with the build.

Re: Concorde Gavina SL

Hi,

Looks great, nice details such as the number hanger and italian flag. Deltas would look great on this frame. Looking forward to seeing the posts on the restoration.
This was the paint scheme for PDM from 86 to 89. I have attached a spec for Sean Kelly's bike. It might be of some use.

Regards,

Pat

Attachments

• concorde 89  - sean kelly.jpg
    concorde 89 - sean kelly.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,702
Re: Concorde Gavina SL - restoration

A full re-build to the original spec would be special. I've got a Concorde Prelude, it's an absolute pleasure to ride. Looking forward to see how you get on with this and what decision you make.

Re:

Thanks to you all for the info. Pat, really appreciate the article scan. I am surprised how little contemporary info there is to find on the web considering how high profile PDM was back in the day...

Re:

I have a picture of Kelly's 1991 Concorde Squadra (not Gavina) on which he won Lombardia that year. He rode mostly a C-Record gruppo and synchro shifters but with Super Record pedals and toe straps and Chorus brakes rather than Deltas. That would make a beautiful build ;)

Re:

Hi Gavr,

that would be a beauty. Call me sad but I am rather looking forward to building it up using Croce D'Aune, it's an excuse to use the bonker's derailleur design! A classic case of over engineering if there was one - lets hope it actually changes gears ok!

Back