1951 Sun Mist - L'Eroica-ising???

jon w

Old School Hero
Here is my latest project from the collection of frames.

A 1951 sun mist. It needs everything finding and adding.

Here's the starting point.

This has been cleaned, stripped and re-greased back to life.

Now I was also given a pair of 26" wheels, one a sturmey 3 speed, the other a lucas dyno-hub front. The front wheel was quite badly buckled, but many hours of moving and re forming and it's round again.

Bot wheels have been totally stripped, cleaned and re-lubed. A cyclo has been sourced, along with a crank set for the front.

which leaves

I have a few cyclo issues at the moment. I think it it too far forward, so am going to space it back as a trial. If this works I'll look at making a new bracket.

Re:

Not this time. See the poster posted by old tel below. This is providing some inspiration for the build.

file.php

The wheels are listed as 26" x 1 1/4" Dyno hub and gears are optional extras.

The brakes fitted are the wrong length and I'll have to source some correct length ones.

Re: 1951 Sun Mist - Project bike

Monitor steel brakes! Possibly worth sourcing some GB's for a better braking experience.

Re: Re:

jon w":1k4qr5uo said:
Not this time. See the poster posted by old tel below. This is providing some inspiration for the build.

file.php

The wheels are listed as 26" x 1 1/4" Dyno hub and gears are optional extras.

The brakes fitted are the wrong length and I'll have to source some correct length ones.

Those brakes don't reach the rims...

Seeing this makes me wonder why everything which is brand new in 2014 feels like will be at the tip in 2015.
Your frame seems to have had a rough life but after all that time it is still going strong. Loving that thought.
I will watch you build with interest. Keep up the good work!

Next job is the seat post. An odd ball 1 1/16 size.... is going to be reamed to 27mm as the top jug is less than round.

Next on the list are handle bars, brakes and tyres. Any recommendations for 27 x 1 1/4???

Back