1961 Claud Butler Super Coureur #9081 (Entente cordiale)

Welcome aboard and that CB is really lovely.
Have you started a thread for it in readers rides? You definitely should as I am sure I'm not alone in wanting to know more about it.

Jamie

Re: Re:

Psimpson":1gj0i5lg said:
I thought you might like to see my 1939 Claude Butler Super Arrow.

Very nice! Is that a Gnutti crank/chainring? :shock: And what hub are you running, an actual 30's job or a 50's Sturmey?

As Jamie says, that looks good enough to start your own thread in Readers road bikes, put a specification list up and lots of detail photos, it'll soon attract some attention. :cool:
Check out my coloured name links in my signature below if you are fellow CB nut! :facepalm:

Re:

Hi

Thanks for the comments.
It's a magistronin crank and the Hub is a 4-speed dated 1946.
It's hard/expensive to find components of the same date as the bike and I figure it's an upgrade that might have happened anyway.
The bike was in a complete state when I got it.

Psimpson":2c72rw4u said:
Hi

Thanks for the comments.
It's a magistronin crank and the Hub is a 4-speed dated 1946.
It's hard/expensive to find components of the same date as the bike and I figure it's an upgrade that might have happened anyway.
The bike was in a complete state when I got it.

Too right regarding cost, I'm not sure if it’s down to the success of forums like Retrobike or websites like Velobase but parts seem to be getting more expensive by the day! As for period correct parts, I’d not worry too much about components from the 40’s and 50’s on late 30’s bikes, design changes on some parts were very slight, pretty much only really knowledgeable enthusiasts could call something out. :)

Re:

It's the first of many Claud Butlers I hope.
My other retro bikes are;
1972'ish Novy.
1980's Guilbilato.
1980's Rossin.
1980's Chas Roberts.

Not sure of exact dates.

So this was about to go on eBay as part of the big cull (see An Intervention..Long over due..)
when Our Jimmy popped his head around our home office door (we're all working from home now) 'what do you think you're doing with that?' the cheeky wee scamp exclaims.... 'it's on its way lad' I replied, reminding him that he was part of the Intervention gang that forced this action in the first place...
When he asked what we could do to stop the sale of the Super, I said; well we would need to choose something else.. easy said he, As we're planning on building a Colnago as my main road bike, why can't I build this up with the mudguards and rack from the Cavalier, a few choice bits from the spares/to sell box and have it as a winter ride/tourer, giving up the Concorde Astore in its stead?

Ok, fair enough.... I said. I know where the bits are that I want he says leaving the room. I bet you do I thought :roll:

And suprise suprise, I popped in the workshop to see what mischief he was up to...list so far is a mix of 60's, 70's, 80's & 90's predominantly Campy of course!

Headset: Campy 1039, Record Strada
Brakes: Campy Gran Sport (2nd Gen)
Brake/shifter levers: Campy Mirage 8sp Ergopower Aero off of the Concorde
Brake Pads: Campy
Brake Cables: Campy Ergopower
Derailleur Cables: Campy Ultrashift
Down tube strap double gear stop: Campy
Crankset: Campy 3320 Sport
Hubs: Campy 722/101 Chorus low flange
Hub Skewers: Campy Record QR
Front Derailleur: Campy Athena
Rear Derailleur: Campy Mirage 8 speed
BB: Campy Record Pista
Rims: Weinmann from his Cavalier
Stem: Short GB Neta, again from the Cav
Bars: GB from the Cav
Cassette: Sram 8sp 13-26
Chain: Sram PC-850 Power Chain II
Pedals: Gipiemme Sprint
Saddle: Blue Brooks 17
Rack: Claud Butler “De Luxe” carrier
Mudguards: Bluemels Monarch

He likes a good rummage through the quality boxes! 🤦 C053A4B7-803D-4DA2-B654-01FDFB09F385.jpeg

Last edited:
Quality boxes indeed!
The boy has taste, expensive tastes, but taste non the less! Good on him.
Good to see this one staying :)

Jamie

Jamiedyer":1fup19q3 said:
Quality boxes indeed!
The boy has taste, expensive tastes, but taste non the less! Good on him.
Good to see this one staying :)

Jamie

The pupkin might be a bit disappointed when he gets in from school tonight, the <C> Record headset stack height is just too much for this steering tube, ah well he will just have to “make do” with a Gran Sport” :roll:
And after he was soooo careful to place the crown race so the <C> could be seen... :facepalm:

Attachments

• BB6B3EC9-9163-4FDA-9FD6-0659C0AF3A61.jpeg
    BB6B3EC9-9163-4FDA-9FD6-0659C0AF3A61.jpeg
    512.5 KB · Views: 468
  • DD566B17-FCED-436B-B40B-4F89BF08600E.jpeg
    DD566B17-FCED-436B-B40B-4F89BF08600E.jpeg
    685.2 KB · Views: 468
Re:

He's probably going to have trouble with the brake caliper reach too? and more besides, I wouldn't be surprised..

torqueless":3gk034hw said:
He's probably going to have trouble with the brake caliper reach too? and more besides, I wouldn't be surprised..

Absolutely, I’ve got a sneaky suspicion the brakes & the Bottom Bracket might have to be swapped for something more suitable (that actually fit)
All good stuff for him to learn when he gets in from school tonight, I’m just going to lay out some more practicable options for him.. :xmas-wink:

Back