1950 Claud Butler Avant Coureur - What is this braze on?

135North

Retro Newbie
Purchased a 1950 Claud Butler Avant Coureur and according to the resident V-CC CB subject matter expert, the braze on shifter bosses would have been added at a later point. (see photo's)

I beleive they are for Simplex shifters, but am trying to make sure before I start buying off of eBay.

So I'm trying to determine:
- are the actual braze on's Campagnolo, Simplex, or ??

- what make and model of shifter should I be hunting for?

One thing that confounds me is how are the shifters actually secured to the boss? Unlike modern Campagnolo bosses, this has no female thread-in to accept a bolt. Guessing it would be held in place by some sort of clip?

The right side is free and clear of the old shifter that was attached at some point. The left side still has the remnants of a broken off shifter mechanism attached. There are 2 pieces, a round type washer on the outside, and what looks to be some sort of cable guide between the washer and the braze on.

To be pure and period correct, I could just remove both bosses and start over since its highly unlike that a 1950 CB had braze on's on both sides. Although, catalogues from 1949 and 1951 show a right side shifter on the CB AC.

Attachments

• IMG_8803.JPG
    IMG_8803.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 2,021
Re: the other / right side braze on

Tried to upload 3 pics in the original post, but only 1 uploaded (the 1 with the broken off shifter piece). This is the right side, free of shifters' pic. the braze on has a square cut out appx 1/4 inch x 1/4 inch, and it stands / protrudes away from the frame appx 1/16 of an inch at best.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_df3.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_df3.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 2,014
Re: What is this braze on?

Not seen anything like this before, but yes if Robin says they look like later additions thats probably what they are. BTW, my '48 AC had no gear lever braze-ons!
But then I guess there was a lot of customer choice on spec back then....

Maybe Cyclo Benelux, the right hand side looks like a Cyclo brazing with the boss missing

I do have embossed Campagnolo shifters on my 1961 Locomotief which were pretty commun at those days. The shifters itselfs can be moved, the embossed parts however not. There is no lose band...
img_3033.jpg

Mystery solved... 1953 Campagnolo GranSport, both braze on and banded right/left shifters. The key clue was the broken off bit... it showed a ferrule that was not threaded like the very similar Simplex and Huret shifters (had to really study the photos to see this subtle difference).
So I found a nice set of banded L/R shifters along with a Valentino / Matchbox front derailleur for $79.00 USD on eBay with free shipping (not the one shown here... this pic is better). Only took a week or so of detective work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 6.02.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 6.02.30 PM.png
    183 KB · Views: 1,818
  • fullsizeoutput_df9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_df9.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 1,818
This is my third "English Lightweights" import to Western Colorado, US of A. I like to call it "Bikexit."

- 1970 Witcomb
- 1952 Paris Cycles TdF
- 1950 CB AC.
- ... Next? ➡️

Back