Raleigh Super Lenton 1956 22" frame

Time to work on the combination gears set-up.
History: I’ve dismantled and rebuilt a couple of Sturmey Archers in the past, an FW and an FM, and they’re straight-forward and trouble-free … provided you’re methodical, take your time, and lay the bits out in a line as you remove them … and take the occasional photo.
I didn’t dismantle the SA hub on this bike, just oiled and adjusted the outer bearings. I'm trusting to fate!

I did however have a closer look at the Cyclo adapter for the rear double sprocket arrangement. It seems to be a threaded sleeve which screws directly onto a standard Sturmey Archer 4-prong threaded driver. And the cogs of your choice then screw on to the Cyclo adapter.
These SA threaded drivers are also available on pre 1951 SA hubs, and are a direct swap for the post-50 splined drivers. See pics.

More history: I’ve never dismantled a derailleur in my life, so this is definitely a learning curve. The bike came with a Cyclo Benelux mk 7 plunger type derailleur, which I understand was sold between 1957 and the end of the 60’s - the previous owner Mike added this as an after-market fitment in 1959.

Anyway I found it to be a straight-forward and nicely engineered piece of kit, reminded me of the Sturmey Archer hubs: designed at the outset to be dismantled and serviced … no sealed units here!
I dismantled and cleaned up the whole thing, including internal sliding rod and spring.
I re-greased and tightened up the bearings on the jockey wheels, 15 tiny ball bearings per wheel – don’t attempt this on a windy day!
Then bolted the whole lot back together again, with oil.. No probs. See all pics.

Brakes are next on the list.…...

Attachments

• Cyclo Benelux 2 spd (1024x768).jpg
    Cyclo Benelux 2 spd (1024x768).jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,132
  • Plunger internals (1024x768).jpg
    Plunger internals (1024x768).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,132
  • Double SA driver (1024x768).jpg
    Double SA driver (1024x768).jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 1,132
  • Double sprocket (1024x768).jpg
    Double sprocket (1024x768).jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 1,132
I feel I'm on the home straight now...
I’ve spent a bit of time cleaning up the original brakes and cables, and to be honest they’ve been a pleasure to work on. Apparently they’re GB Sport mark 1 hiduminium (high density aluminium).
Because the bike had been used semi-regularly over the decades, nothing was seized just a bit stiff. Nothing was frayed either. I discovered that the brake lever spindles can be unscrewed from their grey housings, for service/replacement purposes, which is great. They’re a wee bit worn, nothing drastic, anyone know where I can get replacement spindles??! :)

Anyway I made sure the original cables/wires were properly oiled through and through, and the brakeset is now back on the bike working like new again.
This may be the 1st time Raleigh applied bare-wire technology to the rear brakes, see the cable stops on the underside of the top tube. It definitely makes the rear brakes lighter and more responsive in comparison to the full-length flexi cable and wire.
See all pics.

Attachments

• Brake rear cable (1024x768).jpg
    Brake rear cable (1024x768).jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,093
  • Brake front (1024x768).jpg
    Brake front (1024x768).jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 1,093
  • GB  brakes F and R (1024x768).jpg
    GB brakes F and R (1024x768).jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,093
Thanks, yeah I plan to fit new brake blocks and also new tyres.
I'm keen to get the old bike up and running again, to try out this hub/derailleur combo ... definitely a new one on me! :shock:

Thanks folks, yeah feels like the home run-in.
I’ve re-installed the mid-50’s sturmey archer 4 speed trigger and the late 50’s Cyclo lever, after a service/clean-up. The trigger cable linked up no problem. In contrast the derailleur cable wire was a bit frayed at the end, so I snipped off the last half-inch, before re-attaching.
At one point I considered converting to a “bare wire” derailleur connection (like the later Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix), however the Super Lenton frame pre-dates the useful brazed connectors on the Grand Prix’s chain stay. See pics.

I found setting up the Benelux derailleur was very straight-forward. Alignment with the large cog on the hub is by adjusting the knurled nut and lock washer – and tension adjustment is even easier, using the serrated cup washer. I notice that spring tension defaults the Benelux to the low gear position (large cog), suits me at my age! Whereas the default for sturmey archer is the high gear position.

The bike came with its original Brooks B15 Champion Flyer, still useable after 62 years much to my surprise.
So I got “tore-in” with saddle soap, wax, and feed and it responded reasonably well. It looks very narrow, narrower even than the B15/B17 N. I’ve never come across the Flyer model before, and apparently Brooks dropped it from their range in the 1960’s (… thanks Google). Anyway I’ve attached a pic of the Flyer alongside a pic of a mid 50’s B15 Champion Standard, for comparison purposes.

The original Reynolds domed steel seat post was a bit rusty, to say the least. I’ve heard reports of mixed results with re-chroming, so I just re-installed it after removing the corrosion with an electric wire brush. At least it fits perfectly! The Raleigh bullet hand grips came off a ’56 Lenton.

Attachments

• Reynolds seat post (1024x768).jpg
    Reynolds seat post (1024x768).jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,000
  • Brooks B15 Flyer2 (1024x768).jpg
    Brooks B15 Flyer2 (1024x768).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,000
  • Benelux fitted (1024x768).jpg
    Benelux fitted (1024x768).jpg
    117 KB · Views: 1,001
  • SA trigger (1024x768).jpg
    SA trigger (1024x768).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,002
Re:

I have an original ruby red '58 super lenton, but it doesn't have able guides upder the top tube like yours. This has inspired me to start on mine.

Hi vintagebicycleman, that’s great you also have an original red Super Lenton. Think the brake stops under the top tube were introduced in 1955 or thereabouts – I found the following link really helpful:
https://on-the-drops.blogspot.com/2016/ ... -1952.html
Hey why not post up a few pics, see if we can identify the year. Do you have the frame number? (underside of the bottom bracket, or top seat tube)

Wiring and electrics:
The bike was supplied new with the Sturmey Archer 6V Dynahub option, unusual for a Super Lenton. Speaking to the original owner Mike, he always intended the bike for touring rather than speed – so guess it makes perfect sense!

Other than cleaning it all up, and soldering 1 of the front wheel spade connectors, it all went swimmingly. I quizzed Mike about the rear light (which is Pifco – now there’s a name from the past! - rather than Sturmey Archer), and he confirmed that he’d never changed it, the bike came new like that. Guess Raleigh Industries used what was available at the time.
The front Raleigh lamp bracket fits over a brazed nipple on the front off-side fork leg (see pic), so no danger of the bracket shifting and stripping the front spokes … doesn’t bear thinking about! :shock:

The original bell as supplied with the bike is also back on. I’ll likely change this for a lighter Adie ping bell, hopefully source one off the Bay. Does anyone know when these became available? - were they for sale in the mid-late 50’s by any chance?

Attachments

• SA lights on (1024x768).jpg
    SA lights on (1024x768).jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 954
  • SA Front nipple (1024x768).jpg
    SA Front nipple (1024x768).jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 954
  • SA Lights (1024x768).jpg
    SA Lights (1024x768).jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 954
Back