Finnpeak Du'AL. Piece of Finnish freeride history project

munakorva

Retro Newbie
This is the frame I dreamed about, when I was a teenage dirtjumper back in early 2000s. I enjoyed my kona stuff, but this was what big boys rode. Finnpeak du'Al. One of most ridiculous hard tail frames those times. Aluminium, hand made in Finland. This particular one is crafted somewhere between year 2003-2004.

Previous, and the only owner before me bought this 2004. After pretty much 5 non ridden seasons he tought that, now is time to give up. And I, as a huge Finnpeak fan was obvious new owner. These were pretty expensive frames and number of these made is kinda low. There were also 26" trial version from this. Same looks, but without seat. Decent!

Here it is. This is pretty much how i bought it.

My plan is to build it as my teenage dream bike. All the nicest and most overkill bits from somewhere ten years ago. I want this bike to be able to ride dirt jumps, downhill, stair gaps and all that RAD stuff people did back in the days with these. Parts from ROOX are going to stay, also wheels.. And maybe fork, witch need some service. Going to look for bargains and parts that just come at me. Specs are unknown, but this is going to get sweet

check for updates

-Antti

Re:

That looks crazy. Not sure how the lack of seatpost affects the frame strength?
Also - I have a Roox Commander stem, 55mm long that would go nicely with the seatpost. Its 25.4mm bar clamp though. PM me if you're interested in it.

In this case I think the lack of seatpost dosent effect. Finnpeak guys have been, and are still working on motocross, snowmobile etc frames, custom/repair welds and stuff. And you can really feel it in this frame. It is SUPER stiff and rough. This bike really showed its real character when i landed double on bmx track a bit short. It hits you back.

Previous owner is really tall strong fellow who breaks stuff and rides hard. So there is a risk of this frame being a bit tired. But still, im not afraid of it. Im from bmx side of riding, so im pretty smooth. Light and tall rider Welds look all fine and, there really is some serious amount of aluminium to beat. And if its going to crack SOMEHOW, Im shure that finnpeak guys are eager to weld it back together.

I took this into pieces this morning. Actually the frame is not that heavy. Somewhere 2500g or so. I need to weight it properly when I manage to get its really beaten ISIS bb off.

Thanks for the offer stevet1, pm send! NICE!

After many years of lurking its nice to be here logged in. Its nice forum. These dont exist too much

Re:

Yep. Its a flawed design, the 2 triangle frame was invented by the victorians and cant be imporived. To make up for the lack of a seat tube, it is either unecessariky heavy or a bit flexy.

Interesting dinosaur though.

I got my old finnish bike magazines back to me again. Heres some FINNPEAK adds and flaming from 2001:

That right side "xc" hardtail is interesting one. Also Nice looking. Haven't seen those on anyone.

Also nice review:

all that ROOX :cool: :cool:

last photos text loosely translated. Im not so good at english, but i try my best/dont care. It suits fine because almost all of these dirt jump, freeride etc articles of the time in that particular magazine were POORLY written
Here:

impressions Finnpeak is really enjoyable to ride. Just after first try out jumps, it gave you feeling of trying bigger jumps and harder tricks. Du'AL is stiff and stable ride, accelerate is sharp and it is light and easy to handle on jumps and berms. Because of the top quality parts the price of this bike isnt low, but for your bucks you got the finest looks and functionality. Shape of the frame is not the most ordinary, but the operability of it makes you think is the traditional frame eve the best choise. Test group wishes for more as fabulous techincal find from the FINNPEAK workshop.

Heres the project at the moment. Repair painting, cleaning and the real work starts somewhere in the future, when weather goes bad and evenings get really dark!

Back