Marin FRS Rift Zone

Treker

Dirt Disciple
I bought this about 4 months ago for a very good price (he did want $300, but I gave him $150, which is about £70). It was completely standard, it still has the original headset and saddle. I've changed a couple of things which I took off my Kona Lana'i hardtail.
- Husselfelt bars and stem
- Fox F90RL forks
- Taken off the small and big rings from the crank
- New inner and outer cables
- Tyres
- WTB saddle

I plan to change the rear shock for a Fox one, when I find the one for the right price, and I have a FSA Orbit XLII headset to go on as well.

I've been riding since I could, and this is my first full suspension ride, and I love it. It's got XT brakes, shifters, BB and mechs, WTB/Ritchey wheelset, 6061 frame, and a nice solid and straight crank.

Any recommendations for rear shocks and chain tensioners..?
And is this a '97 or '98..?

When I bought it...

20150703_160249.jpg

20150703_160303.jpg

20150703_160134.jpg

And now...
20150808_114831.jpg

20150808_120023.jpg

20150808_120958.jpg

Re:

Nice upgrades, I bet its not light weight though :p

I upgraded the SID shock on my 99 fsr with a fox float, which i would reccomend :)

It's 6061, which is light enough for me. ;-)

I need some sort of tensioner for the chain though, can't seem to find one that I can just bolt on...

Yeah they were the ones I was looking at, could you share which one you have so I can get an idea..?

Do you have to lengthen the chain for them? As I've taken one or two links out of mine.

What length was your rear shock? I'm watching a couple on eGay at the moment, so fingers crossed (they are 165mm).

Does anyone know if this is a 97 or 98 model?

Treker":1t6upzp3 said:
Yeah they were the ones I was looking at, could you share which one you have so I can get an idea..?

Do you have to lengthen the chain for them? As I've taken one or two links out of mine.

What length was your rear shock? I'm watching a couple on eGay at the moment, so fingers crossed (they are 165mm)

Chain length should be fine as it is, the chain device i use is a blackspire stinger, theyre easy to get hold of

My float shock was 165mm yes, but i had a different bike to you so you should remove your shock and measure between the eyeholes to be sure. Come to think of it i had a fox vanilla shock on my santa cruz heckler. It was a modern coil shock with a preload adjuster which still looked kinda retro but was a brilliant shock as well. I think id recommend that one over the float

Sean

Cool thanks for the info. My Marin is in Melbourne at the moment, and im in the UK for a while so I was hoping to take one back with me. I thought I'd measured it at 185mm when I took it off but now Im not so sure, as most people are saying 165. Maybe I'll get one of each! :D

Treker":3snqvaxp said:
Cool thanks for the info. My Marin is in Melbourne at the moment, and im in the UK for a while so I was hoping to take one back with me. I thought I'd measured it at 185mm when I took it off but now Im not so sure, as most people are saying 165. Maybe I'll get one of each! :D

Theres a local bike charity run organisation ive been involved with and the last time i went in there they had one of these frames hanging up in the workshop (all coroded and looking sorry for itself)

I'll go there today and if the marin is still there i will measure the shock for you

Sean :)

Back