Recycled Carrera

kipperthedog

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A liitle while ago I was offered a bike by a collegue, it was considered beyond economic repair and heading for the tip if I didn't want it. I had seen it but couldn't really rememmber what it loooked like, but I went to pick it up on the off chance it was worth doing something with. It was a Carrera Centos 13, not a high spec model even by Carrera standards. Someone hhad stolen the brake calipers, the fork were seized, the seatpost wouldn't move, the gears didin't shift and the headset bearins had fallen out. However apart from a couple of small dings and the expected rubs and chip the frame was nice enough and the wheels were ok....so I thought it would be interesting to see what could be made out of it. So I took it to pices and then threw most of it away.

It has made an appearance in an earlier incarnation in "Show us your ride and rate the one above", but it is now more or less there....though I think the 23 year old (or thereabouts) Marin Lite bottle cage may have to go!

Spec;

Frame: Carrera Centos13
Fork: Manitou Black Elite 100mm
Bars: Truvativ XC
Stem: Syncros AM 70mm
Grips: WTB Dual Compound
Shifters: STX RC
Brake Levers: Alivio
Wheels: Generic OE
Tyres: Ritchey Z-Max Evo 26x2.1
Chainset: Deore LX with PACE outer and middle rings and UN52 BB
Pedals: M520 (I think) SPD
Front Mech: Deore
Rear Mech: Deore
Cassette: HG50
Chain: Sram
Seat Post: Ritchey
Saddle: SDG Bel Air
Clamp: Bontrager

The chainset will be changed for Kaz's XT number when it arrives and the LX with its Pace rings offered for sale. Other than that I just have to try and get the brakes right.....I went for Shimano Mechanicals because I wasn't feelimg ready for hydraulics and wasn't sure how good they would be at my meagre budget point!
May change my mind yet....

Anyway it rides fine and I quite like it, I think it is an improvement on the usually lacklustre spec offerd on Carreras! Just need to weigh it...it was a lump before I started and feels much better now.

Attachments

• WP_20150901_19_28_59_Pros.jpg
    WP_20150901_19_28_59_Pros.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 2,969
Re:

I beleive it is a Merida frame. The ride is good, much better than I expected, it makes me smile when I get on it. It is better with a 70mm stem as the top tube is quite long (had a 90 on it to begin with), and the Manitou Blacks (one of my favourite forks and a ebay bargain, little used and an uncut steerer!) are just right up front.

Re:

It is a merida frame. Same as saracen of the time. Will ride nice.

Good save

Re:

Thanks all. I was quite optimistic about it as I have a 1992ish Carrera Monza road bike haninging up in the garage, and that is a nice bike too.

Kaz's Bank Holiday Bonanza parcel ariived today....XT cranks with Blackspire rings. Very nice looking forward to fitting this later in the week. I think it is where I want it to be then.....unless I decide to change my mind and go Hydraulic on the brakes......tempted! Will post an updated pic and maybe have a weigh-in!

Re:

It does, I wasn't sure whether I liked it when I put it on because i did like the old one.....but it does look better and it is a really light set of cranks, the Blackspire rings are quite cool too. Still struggling to get the back brake how I want it though, I seem to be able to get it to feel right or work right but not both :roll:

Back