1998 Kona Lava Dome - The (ex) shopping trolley...

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Picked this up yesterday, my 1st ever Kona :D

Looks almost original spec apart from the saddle and bars, oh, and the bizarre looking steerer extender :shock:

I plan to use this as a runaround, so minimal changes to be made really, just get rid of those shopping bike bars and fit a new saddle (it's ripped on one corner).

It has a decal from a bike shop in British Columbia, maybe the shop where it was originally bought? if it is then it's travelled a fair way! All the previous owner said was that they'd had it for a long time.

Re: 1998 Kona Lava Dome - The shopping trolley...

:shock: :shock:
Looks like someone grafted the front of a Raleigh Twenty to the rest of a kids MTB. It's really bad for the eyes. Of course once you get rid of the mutant steering gear and the sofa on the seatpost it'll look great. Should ride great too :)

17" frame?
:LOL:

Looks good.

Interesting front mudguard.

Re:

The previous owner had back problems, hence the alterations to a "sit up & beg" riding position I guess.
It doesn't look like it's ever seen an off-road trail in its life, still on the original 17 year old chain from the looks of it! :shock:

New (riser) bars and less sofa-like saddle to be fitted next week.... then hit the trails! :mrgreen:

Yep ! what a sight to cause sore eyes :facepalm: but at least the rest looks good :cool: ...

He'd have been better fitting a much shorter stem.

Re:

It's now looking more like a MTB and less like a shopping bike :)
The lady I bought it from knew absolutely zero about bikes, probably her LBS fitted the steerer extender and swept back bars to make it easier for her to ride, which must have worked for a while, although it looked rather "unconventional" :LOL:

I went for some riser bars, grips, and a new gel saddle to keep things comfy; this is no thoroughbred race machine so I resisted the urge to pimp it out with lightweight parts.
It actually rides really nicely, stops ok with the Avid V-brakes, and the LX/STX drivetrain works smooth as butter!
More riding to come, and may use it as a commuter bike :D

Back