Orange 5 build

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
so as i'm off to NZ in approx 2-3 weeks time for 6 months i decided i needed a real allrounder bike, unfortunately my ST4 died, it developed a crack in the chainstay, and knowing who i'd be riding with i wanted something suitable, i felt my patriot was too freeridish if that makes sense, also i wanted to have a current bike, meaning 27.5 wheels, it's not that i specifically wanted 27.5 wheels but frankly i'd get a load of stick if i didn't etc, also having this enables me to sell 2 other bikes, the heckler and the patriot, the weird thing is that the 5 can replace several of my bikes, even if the ST4 hadn't died the 5 will ride up a hill like the ST4 does, but being 140mm rear travel means it's only 10mm off the travel the patriot has, the heckler was initially going to simply be a replacement for the broken ST4 but having the 5 again renders that redundant now.

this was also the reason i chose to sell a couple of retrobikes, the Vit T2 has gone, as has the Aluminium Elite and one of my P7's, the white one. shame but i didn't ride them a huge amount but this 5 will get loads of use.

i have stolen a few bits out of the bike build box for the Urban Demon build, namely the brakes, the bar and the pedals, hope sent E4 brakes for that build when i actually asked for the standard brakes so they are more suited to this anyway but also being a white frame with black parts the red ano bits i think look cool and make it a little interesting, i may also change the rear mech and chainset as i have an xtr mech spare and also i'd prefer a triple chainset as i will have to commute on this bike aswel so a top ring would be useful as this duo only has a 32t, if it was a 36t i'd probably leave it but i can simply swap the xt triple from my heckler.

so here's a few pics and i did a little video aswel

:D

P1150179 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1150180 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1150186 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1150196 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1150200 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1150209 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1150222 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1150223 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1150226 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1150235 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1150247 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1150249 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1150254 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1150255 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1150264 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1150269 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDsONNKKXYw[/youtube]

Awesome bike! The red parts compliment the white and black really nicely!
Good look on your travels :D !

Re:

cheers, i'm really pleased with the look, haven't ridden it yet though other than a spin around outside the house, i might have a blast in wales before i leave though to give it a good bedding in, we'll see. :D

Re:

Orange do have an importer but i think it's in Austrailia but also serves New Zealand, i can't imaging there will be too many of them though.

Not a huge fan of white bikes or Orange Fives...but I really like this!
Presume they're pikes up top?

Re:

this is basically a 5 S, but with added upgrade of hope wheels so it comes with the Revelation fork not the Pike, for me i couldn't justify the extra cost for that fork with no major benefit for me but i'd rather have the rockshox than fox by a country mile which was another option. i have also put on my E4 hope brakes, i have also changed the chain set, i liked the Raceface chain set but i had a quick spin and felt the 24/32 it came with was a little easy so i tried to pop on a 36t ring i had but being shimano it didn't fit :roll: so a friend had a almost new xt 26/38 set up in black so i have fitted that instead which looks good and works well.

i was thinking of getting a dropper post but having been back in the bike trade for the last 2 months i've seen issues with a few of them which has really put me off! but worst case i'll leave the standard post in and get one when i'm in NZ.

glad you guys like it though, still hasn't been out for a ride yet though, weather has been so bad or i have been working.

anyway i'll be looking at flights times tonight so hopefully i'll be away soon and can then swing a leg over it! :D

Re:

The Revelations are a great fork, think they have the RCT3 damper unit anyway, can't see the cost/performance benefits of the Pike myself either.

The Reverb dropper has served me well so far, but I kept the old seatpost as backup.... just in case.....

I'm sure there 'll be loads of awesome trails in NZ to give the 5 a proper thrashing on :)

Latest posts

Back