2001 Kona Blast 650b project

mamadirt

Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Saturday morning boredom has prompted a rethink about the little Blast frame which I keep tripping over in the dining room :LOL: . Original thread was here in 'Bike Chat' but now I actually have a plan (lost the plot years ago ;) ) I guess it deserves a thread of its own.

It came to me looking pretty rough . . .

p4pb10883988.jpg

Rear end was marked from chainslap with a little chainsuck and marks where the front mech had been clamped . . .

p4pb11485913.jpg

. . . but it's proved pretty easy to retouch due to the colour.

I have a pair of new 24" and 650b wheels sitting here (as you do) so it was decision time (c'mon, 26 would be too easy :roll: ) and I'm happy to say that my gamble paid off - Ritchey Z Maz 650b x 2.1s fit perfectly . . .

p4pb11486303.jpg

p4pb11486304.jpg

I've tried a couple of women-specific 650b bikes and really couldn't get on with either - the low bottom bracket made them feel like shopping bikes, but earlier this year I managed to cram a pair of 650bs into a little Cove Stiffee frame and loved it.

Here we go again . . .

Yes, had to take a file to the chainstay bridge on the Cove to fit a pair of Maxxis Ikons which are pretty low-pro so I'm really pleased that these fit so well without any modification. Bottom bracket came out surprisingly easily too - I may just have a new ride for tomorrow, albeit minus a rear brake :LOL:

Are these disc only rims if not will upside down maguras fit? Like when you replace u brakes on 26" wheels?

All done! Loving the ride - BB doesn't seem overly high (although measures a tad over 13") and feels waaay better than the shopping-bike-esque low BB'd 650b bikes I've ridden recently.

p4pb11489590.jpg

Clearance is pretty good too (may be interesting in the mud :? ) . . .

p4pb11489589.jpg

Now . . . how long before I get suckered into buying one of these instead of the boring black/silver ones available over here :p

Would love a more side on shot when you get time, mama..

looks good from what I can see though

There are a couple of really small kona disc frames on the bay - probably cheaper than buying a disc adapter thingy? Especially when you sell your existing frame on?

Back