Jimmy the Exploder (1999 Explosif)

JimmyTheExploder

Dirt Disciple
So, after a few years of touring and road bikes, I've just got my hands on this for some off road fun!

It's a '99 Explosif and will be a work in progress for a while as I don't have the cash or time for a complete overhaul now. I'm not particularly bothered about keeping it original - as I read on one site (can't remember if it was here or somewhere else) Explosifs were built to get you around as quickly as possible, so that's what I'm aiming at :D

I'm going to strip it down for a good clean/regrease and I've got some XT mechs and other drivetrain bits which I'll probably put on when I rebuild it. Also at the moment it's got those dual control flappy brake lever thingies (pretty sure that's the right technical term) which I'm not sure about keeping but I'll wait until I've ridden it a bit more before deciding on them.

But then comes the bigger choices... the wheels are ceramic and have quite a lot of wear so they're in the firing line for replacement, as is the fork. But if I'm going to do either of them I may as well go with a front disc brake (for more choice of forks if nothing else), and if I'm going to do that I may as well send the frame off to the welders and put discs on both ends... Suddenly I can't afford my rent and I'm living under a bridge, albeit with a very nice bike to keep me company.

So... for some inspiration, what would you guys do? I have got some other wheels I could use so I'm thinking maybe forks... if so I need short travel (80, maybe 100mm) with v-brake mounts and a long straight steerer (it will probably be second hand) so limited options.

Hmmm, just here pondering really but any thoughts/comments appreciated! First of course comes "just get on and ride" :)

p.s. seen some lovely bikes on here - good work guys!

Attachments

• 1 copy.JPG
    1 copy.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 1,269
Re:

Welcome to the forum !

I'm sure you'll enjoy reading up on other people's bikes , and giving/receiving advise as well .
You certainly have a nice bike to start your mtbing on ! If it were me , I'd replace the rims if the hubs were ok . I'd also keep the vbrakes , if you're in a situation where they aren't powerful enough , then you're looking at a visit from Mr G Reaper anyhow :LOL: :LOL:
As for forks , Marzocchi Bombers seem popular on Konas , I think Konaman has a pair of good ones for sale IIRC .
Whatever you decide , I'm sure you'll enjoy mountain biking ;)

Mike

Re:

Cheers Mike.

It's more of a return to mtbing rather than a start tbh. Always loved it when I was growing up (although the stuff I rode was pretty tame!) and my lbs was a Kona dealer. Would pop in every now and again just to drool over a cinder cone, or a hahanna if I was feeling more realistic, but never actually got one, so now's my chance!

I don't particularly want disc brakes really but there seems to be more choice of disc only forks than ones with v-brake mounts. Have seen some nice mx comps for sale at a good price though, just waiting to hear back. Will have a look at konaman's as well - cheers for that.

If I get new rims how much would it be to get them built up? Or could I do it myself? I'm happy truing wheels but never built any from scratch and don't have a tension meter. (Although thinking about it I know somewhere that might have one I could use...)

Definitely enjoying this forum - going through some more build threads now!

Re:

You could do it yourself , I do mine . And if you already true up your own , you'll have some idea about tension too . Maybe look up ' building wheels ' in the search section at the top of the page . Someone must have done a thread on this.
Like most of us , you're looking at bikes and bits that you could only dream of BITD but can afford now and enjoying messing about with them .

Mike

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":2jegalqo said:
Like most of us, you're looking at bikes and bits that you could only dream of BITD but can afford now and enjoying messing about with them.

^ sounds about right! Should have some zocchi mx comp airs in the post to me soon to play with :D I used to go up to the bike show at the NEC and try and persuade people to sell me some Z4s for about £30. No-one ever did :cry:

Re:

FWIW I got a.pair of Z4s once and they were lovely in use , looked cool , but weighed roughly the same as a B52 ! Hence the name Bomber ! :LOL:

Mike

It's a lovely bike mate, you'll really enjoy riding it! Here's the link to mine viewtopic.php?f=21&t=236594&start=10

If I was you I'd stick to forks that were no longer than 80mm, I had a 1998 frame before the 1999 and fitted a variety of fork lengths over the years from 63mm (Sids) to 100mm (bombers). 100mm felt too much, even with a shorter stem.

See if you can find yourself a set of Z2's on Ebay, they're made for the Explosif!

I saw yours yesterday actually - looks great!

Thanks for the advice on the forks. Z2s would have been ideal for keeping it period but I couldn't find any with a long enough steerer. Just bought the mx comps - they can be reduced to 80mm with a spacer and it sounds like that would be a good idea from what you say. Day off tomorrow so time to start tinkering!

Well done for catching this on ebay. IMO the last proper Explosif so it should be a cracker.

Forks wise, I'd say go for Pace and RC36's. They look great, perform really well, are still serviceable and very light. The carbon would suit the colour of the frame. Personally I wouldn't bother with discs but invest in a decent wheelset like this has/had.

Of course it's your bike and you're gonna ride it not me ;-)

I don't really understand why you are replacing the wheels. Once the ceramic wears out they become the same as a normal pair, after which you can swap back the pads and continue until they are worn out.

Back