1998 Hardrock Singlespeed

More parts... I'm much more into this minimalist silver/black vibe now. Can't wait for this to be finished. So close now!

img_1801.jpg

Cockpit setup:
img_1802.jpg

So... I used the Magic Gear calculator, which suggested 31/13 would be the best. I tried it, but had a bit of slack in the chain.
Luckily, I had bought a 14t ring to use with a 34t ring, so I popped that on, and it works perfectly!

It's tight, but not so tight that it feels like it'll damage anything. I'm so stoked on how this is turning out.

img_1806.jpg

Today was the first day I could build it into a rideable machine, still a few things I want to tweak on it but it's probably 90% there now.

img_1811.jpg

Initial thoughts are:
  • The forks are too long, it originally had rigid forks and it doesn't really need suspension as it's more of a cruiser at this point so I think I'll source some rigids for it to drop the front end back down
  • The gear is perfect, just right for a gentle cruise along the beach
  • The cable routing is for canti brakes, something I hadn't considered. Going to need some silver cable ties or a cable stop clamp
  • I tried out two sets of bars, not sure which I prefer visually, but I think the lower ones will ride better, maybe that'll change once I fit rigids though

Black...
img_1809.jpg

or silver?
img_1810.jpg

Re:

That's cool. Two things:-

That brake setup with the xt levers and m600 v brakes is phenomenal. Spend a little time getting the pad adjustment justb right.

Number two, you want the chain tension a bit tight if it's a new chain, it'll bed in on the first ride.

Carry on.

kanerdog1x1":2d1tzm9x said:
That brake setup with the xt levers and m600 v brakes is phenomenal. Spend a little time getting the pad adjustment just right.

It was a bit of a faff on the rear I assume due to the width of the D521 I'm using, but I got it set up perfectly. I can only assume the front will be even better once it's done!

kanerdog1x1":2d1tzm9x said:
Number two, you want the chain tension a bit tight if it's a new chain, it'll bed in on the first ride.

Yeah, well it's nice and tight now so I'm guessing it'll end up absolutely perfect.

You know when items arrive and you're so exited you don't bother to even take any photos? Well the rigid forks arrived today and it was beautifully sunny so I tore them out of their packaging, gave them a quick rub down and polish, fitted them and the front brake and took the completed bike out for it's first ride along with it's smaller sibling, the Rockhopper.

img_1835.jpg

img_1839.jpg

The gearing is perfect for slow cruising but allows me to keep up with my partner when she decides to sprint.

My only slight issue is the rear brake cable routing, as you can see, it droops a bit in the middle of the top tube. I've ordered a bolt on cable stop which will tidy it all up hopefully.

Also, the stem looks a little long when it's fitted so I might source a shorter one, not sure yet.

TerryParadise":37snr3ew said:
Also, the stem looks a little long when it's fitted so I might source a shorter one, not sure yet.

Always fit a short stem. My first proper mountain bike was a 1998 Kona Hahanna which I retro-modded into a very functional modern trail/xc hardtail, including a 50mm stem and 31.8mm diameter 740mm long bars. Not that crazy by today's standards, but for a teenager in 2010 the bars were pretty wide and the bike handled excellently.

Your build is looking good too, looks like a fun alternative to a trendy new gravel bike, and good for fitness too!

Re:

I just couldn't help myself. Spotted a set of forks on Marketplace that I thought might work better on the bike. I've just fitted them and taken it for a quick spin, feels good.

Not 100% sure they're better than the other rigids I previously had fitted but at least they're the right brand and the steerer tube is straight which means the headset feels a lot nicer. Guessing the old forks were trials forks as they were cut at an angle.

Still waiting on a shorter stem and maybe some flatter bars, so it may be a while until it feels finally complete but it's fun to ride around town in the meantime.

img_1903.jpg

img_1904.jpg

img_1905.jpg

Back