1998 Hardrock Singlespeed

I got hold of a free pair of rigid forks that were listed as 'broken', except they weren't (v-brake mounts were damaged, but they hold the arms just fine). I put them on the bike along with a new stem + bars combo and I think it looks amazing.

Pretty sure that's it for this build now, it feels great to ride. My only concern is the bb has started creaking. Could be that the cranks need tightening, but they don't feel at all loose or have any play in them. Thoughts?

img_1991.jpg

img_1989.jpg

img_1990.jpg

Now that it's finished:

Frame: 1998 Specialized Hardrock 17” Warm Silver

Fork: Kinesis Extra Light

Headset: FSA Orbit
Stem: Thomson Elite 90mm 5deg
Handlebar: Specialized aluminium 560mm
Grips: ODI Longneck lock-on
Barends: ODI

Brakes: Shimano XT M739
Brake Pads: Clarks cartridge
Brake Cables: Jagwire
Brake Levers: Shimano XT M739
Brake cable stop: Jtek

Cassette: Shimano DX CS-MX66 14t
Chain: KMC Z1
Cranks: Race Face North Shore XS Forged
Crank bolts: Race Face
Chainring: Surly stainless steel 31t
Chainring bolts: generic single speed
Bottom Bracket: Token campagnolo 68/73mm
Pedals: DMR V12 v2

Hub Skewers: Shimano XT M739
Rims: Mavic 220
Hubs: Shimano M737
Nipples: unknown
Spokes: unknown
Tyres: Specialized Nimbus EX 1.5”
Tubes: unknown

Saddle: San Marco Ponza
Seatpost: Kalloy Uno
Seatpost Binder: Specialized

Weight: uninterested

Re:

I like that, the fork looks kinda long for the frame, but if it rides ok then who cares?
Its got me thinking about single speeding my Hardrock now :?

Re:

Yeah, it does look a touch long I agree. Seems fine for what I'm using it for (rides along the coast with my partner and trips to the coffee shop).

Do it! The silence of singlespeed is amazing.

Got hold of a set of donor M739 levers, wanted to see if black/black would look good which I reckon it does.

img_2058.jpg

img_2059.jpg

Has anyone else tried this before? They seem to work fine, the only difference between the silver and black levers is at the base of the lever where they have different length grub screws and there isn't a groove for the spring on the M739-S for some reason.

Be interested to hear from others on this. As a result I also have a set of silver/silver levers going spare, unfortunately they're quite scratched up and both levers are bent downwards a bit. I'll pop them up in my sale post with more photos.

img_2061.jpg

It's been almost a year. We moved house and I got some new forks for this bike. I'm finally happy with how it looks, I think it's complete. The Z2 Atom race forks aren't too long and the colours match the frame perfectly.

I had to switch to a lower stack headset and stem due to the forks coming with a short steerer. It's a few mm shorter than I'd like but I really only use this bike for the occasional Sunday park ride so it shouldn't matter.

Attachments

• IMG_3578.JPG
    IMG_3578.JPG
    782.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3579.JPG
    IMG_3579.JPG
    638.2 KB · Views: 32
The fork looks a great match for the bike tbh.
I'd probably shorten the front brake cable and call it done! 👍🏻

Back