Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:34 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:10 pm 
Retro Guru

Getting there . . . slowly. Bushing repair has been a challenge. The 0.5 PTFE tape wasn't having any of it when I attempted to rub it back - absolute b***er to remove too. Tried removing material from the remaining steel bushing but that too was super-time consuming to do evenly. Next step is to try 0.25 tape and if that doesn't work I guess I'll bite the bullet and order new bushings.

Other parts are looking good though after a bit of a retouch - just need to get a barrel adjuster for the rear mech. Crankset is a basic trials model with a steel ring which'll get me going but I'm on the hunt for a cheap FSA Power Pro or Sidewinder set or even an LX M570 if I can find a square taper version with a spider (not one of those weird-ass integral big ring versions).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:59 pm 
Retro Guru

Back from the dead :twisted: 0.25 tape was a perfect fit - time will tell but all back together with new seals, smooth as . . . no oil leaks and lock-out works a treat. Let's go!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:43 pm 
Retro Guru

Looking pretty good so far with Papadirt's wheels and brakes 8) Slack as freak though (not a bad thing personally but I may drop the fork travel to 100mm and fit offset bushings to lower the BB height).

Just waiting for the right size BB - only had a 68mm shell in the toolbox :facepalm: - should be ready for a test ride at the weekend :P

I'd planned on fitting my Hope Minis with silver braided hoses when funds allow, along with a silver wheelset but I quite like the black now . . . :?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:36 pm 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner

Coming along nicely I'd paint the stem now make it all black but hey thats just me :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:53 pm 
Retro Guru

Hmmmmm yeh, did Azonic do stems in black? I think so, probs. Anyway, Papadirt will need his wheelset and brakes back eventually so we'll see how things go . . .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:43 pm 
Retro Guru

All done and a couple of test rides in the bag. Despite the slackness, the addition of a pair of handlebar extenders brought the ride feel up to date - felt waay to floppy with the bars at their original narrow-ish width. Fork stantion repair has held up too so far - no leaks.

Really pleased with how it has turned out - lighter than a very light thing and if I'm honest, a little too long and leggy for me :facepalm: but we'll see . . .

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:04 pm 
Retro Guru

Loving your build, riding a Sub 3 at the moment, both great bikes. What are your plans re the rear brake hose?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:38 pm 
Retro Guru

Cheers! I'm on the search for a rear Hope Mini to match the front which I have so the brakes are borrowed/stolen from Papadirt's Kona for now :twisted: Once I have a matching pair it'll be routed properly . . . although with my track record it could well have morphed into something else entirely before I can afford to replace them :facepalm: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:56 am 
Old School GrandMaster | Rider
Old School GrandMaster | Rider

Looking good and fun. Yes they did the world force stem in black, and what bar extensions did you use?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:24 am 
Retro Guru

Cheers! Bar extensions are Control Tech - stripped the alloy internals and bolts a while ago though so they now have steel internals so's they can be torqued tight :facepalm: Brings the Azonics up to a more manageable 740mm.