Bianchi mega pro xl 1998 info please

Carbonmtb

Dirt Disciple
Hi all ,

Second post :)

I recently aquired the above bike , it says on the frame mega pro xl performance and in the frame sticker it’s SC610.10a triple butted , it’s all in Celeste green , totally original , when I google it it’s Pantani 2 tone frame comes up, it’s obviously not that model but will it be a Reparto Corse ?

Also the cassette is missing , from what I remember it had a 12 23 on ? They guy that owned it passed away and the cassette was off the bike as it was on a tacx turbo and no one knows where it is , would it be a 10 speed or 9 speed in that era ? It’s on ultegra hubs and shifters , tried a 9 speed cassette but it was to wide , the drive is 36mm in length.

Any info on this bike or exact model would be great .

Thanks in advance .

Lee

Hard to be 100% without a photo to help with proper ID but that should be running a 9 speed cassette, but if it is too wide then it may have been running an 8 speed. What number/version are the shifters?
I also thought all the mega pro XL were Reparto Corse. You generally see different variations of the Mercato Uno/Pantani paint scheme but am sure they must have done others over time.

Jamie

Re:

Thanks Jamie, hadn’t thought it might be an 8 speed , I haven’t collected the bike yet , but it was sat on a turbo on a ten speed block , as the back wheel was off and the bike mounted straight on and the gears worked .... that block was a 25 so won’t have been off the bike originally ....the guy a friend of mine has passed away so can’t ask .

A 9 or 10 should both fit as 8,9, and 10 are the same width and are interchangeable from memory.
Looking at the photo the chainset looks Ultegra 6500 which would put it at 9 speed.
I have seen that colour way in the framesets before with the red and blue flashes. They are certainly nice riding bikes.
Sorry can't help much more.

Jamie

Re:

The driver is 36mm same as a ten speed so will maybe just have to try one on and see if it works not sure if pics have worked ....not good at that stuff !

Lee

Pics worked mate.
If it is ten speed then it will need ten speed shifters and if the shifters are for nine speed then it will definitely need a nine speed cassette. Hope that makes sense.
The cassettes are the same width but to squeeze the extra gear in the cog width, and shifter throw are different and also why you need the same compatible chain. Basically everything needs to match, so if it was mine, I would find the number on the shifter, ie: 6500 is 9 speed, 6700 is 10 speed. Numbers will be on back of brake lever blade or under hood but a photo should be able to ID them.

Jamie

Re:

Thanks Jamie , will do that , everything is as left the factory so should all work once I identify what speed it is, want to get the right block , I was hoping the original would turn up but it hasn’t.

Lee

Hi mate
I don't know the 6700 ten speed but I do have the 9 speed 6500 on my Merckx but from just doing a quick google search all the 6700 look to be black blades, I'm not seeing any silver. So maybe if you get a photo to ID shouldn't be hard. Also just check the number on the rear derailleur, should correspond the same either 6500 or 6700.

Jamie

Back