1953 Tour of Britain

Great stuff! watched whilst lacing a pair of Dunlop Special lightweights for my wifes 1955 Claud!

I watched that a few days ago on a video tape which included the TdF, Helsinki Olympics, Bath Road 100, Muratti Cup at Fallowfield track, World Sprint Championships etc. All really fascinating stuff. Quite a few of the riders seen were boyhood heroes of mine whom I met in more recent years. All of them (well, the vast majority anyway!) are pleasant and unassuming guys happy to chat.

My problem with these films is the backing music tracks! Even if they are typical of the day they do tend to grate after the first 5 minutes.

Miserable old git........................ :roll: ;)

Old Ned":3qkvom20 said:
I watched that a few days ago on a video tape which included the TdF, Helsinki Olympics, Bath Road 100, Muratti Cup at Fallowfield track, World Sprint Championships etc. All really fascinating stuff. Quite a few of the riders seen were boyhood heroes of mine whom I met in more recent years. All of them (well, the vast majority anyway!) are pleasant and unassuming guys happy to chat.

My problem with these films is the backing music tracks! Even if they are typical of the day they do tend to grate after the first 5 minutes.

Miserable old git........................ :roll: ;)

:D I love the music, my only gripe is they never mention any details regarding the bikes... :(

Re:

Thanks for posting the link, real pleasure to watch, surprisingly good filming. Struck by the good quality of some of the roads, how fit and healthy the cyclists looked in close-up (and how much hair they had!), lot of Brooks saddles, even the occasional 531 sticker. The commentators’ voices really were from another age – is that John Laurie (Private Fraser) doing voice over from Scotland?

While we’re on cycling films about this era, people might find Les Triplettes de Belleville (Belleville rendezvous in the UK) an enjoyable watch or even a suitable Christmas present for those who like their bikes old (the DVD is pretty cheap). Bit quirky and not very well known, best enjoyed with several friends after a drink or two and with good supplies – just don’t spoil the ending by reading too much on-line.

Re:

Hello - yes we were sure it was John Laurie - he must have had a fascinating life from The 39 steps to Dad's army!
I didn`t know the roads apart from Holme Moss, which they seem to have done the `wrong way` & Bishop Burton near Beverley (where there was a pond) on the way to York. I liked the references to those `Continentals` who were in the way of our chaps!

Those old alloy bottles with a cork are worth a fortune!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Colo ... 7675.l2557

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back