Uneven Rim Braking surface?

Markone

Retro Guru
I have a vintage weinmann front rim with an uneven braking surface that came off of a Raleigh clubman that has only done a clocked 400 miles from new,so the rim has seen very little wear.

When the front brake is applied there is some juddering,can the rim be fixed or should it be discarded?

Midlife":31ijrzkx said:
Try a bit of "toe in"? What calliper have you got?

They are Weinmann centre pull brakes and blocks.I'm not sure toe in will help,though as the unevenness of the braking surface of the rim can be seen on a truing stand despite the rim being true if you get what I mean,but happy to give it a go.

Midlife":3um2eid9 said:
Has the rim been bashed by a kerb etc and has splayed out either side?

There is no sign of obvious damage that would be caused by the rim striking a hard object.It's as though it was a manufacturing fault I have no idea,though of the cause.

That's unusual, Weinmann were usually pretty straight from the factory. I had to PDI hundreds fitted to Raleigh / Charlton bikes in the 70's. Is there some hidden internal corrosion?

Midlife":3lwn7u2a said:
That's unusual, Weinmann were usually pretty straight from the factory. I had to PDI hundreds fitted to Raleigh / Charlton bikes in the 70's. Is there some hidden internal corrosion?

I'll get the wheel down from the loft tomorrow and have a closer look,but pretty sure there is no corrosion.As a temporary substitute I have been using an ebay single wall alloy wheel that despite being cheap has so far performed very well,ironically!

Re:

I had a wheel like this (not a weinmann) and I couldn't work out what was wrong with it. I eventually binned it - it felt like on, off, on, off etc when braking.
Try turning it round to see if it's any better

Re: Re:

pigman":3vwp36xy said:
I had a wheel like this (not a weinmann) and I couldn't work out what was wrong with it. I eventually binned it - it felt like on, off, on, off etc when braking.
Try turning it round to see if it's any better

I've not got round to getting the wheel down from the loft yet,but what you described is what I experienced with the one I have which is why it ended up in the loft.

I would like to rebuild the hub with a replacement rim if you know of somewhere that can supply a double walled alloy 27 x 1 1/4 rim of decent quality please let me know.

Latest posts

Back