Help needed with front brake ‘grabbing’ rim

bencook

Dirt Disciple
Hi all. I’ve had this bike for around a year and have never got to the bottom of why the front brake grabs the front wheel once per turn. What I mean is, when I apply the front brake a get a small jolt each wheel revolution.

Bike is pictured. Wheels are Fri Aria. Things I’ve tried:
- checking wheel is true (it’s good)
- checking rim at sticky point for a bulge or deformation (nothing obvious, and I did try sanding it gently)
- removing brake pads, sanding down, refitting with them ‘toed in’ slightly
- moving brake pads up/down so they hit different part of the braking surface on the rim
- turning the wheel around in the fork
- cleaning the rim as best I can

And it still grabs! It’s seems to be by the join in the rim. Should I just go in a bit harder with the sanding? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 60A4F8A5-B89D-4660-B4AA-BFAF77138B21.jpeg
    60A4F8A5-B89D-4660-B4AA-BFAF77138B21.jpeg
    709.8 KB · Views: 48
If it's anything like the rims I've just discarded it could be caused by distortion near the joint. I lapped smooth a small step at the joints with fine emery paper laid on a piece of plate glass but that made little difference so I laid a steel straight edge on the rims which highlighted slight narrowing of the rim width just beyond either end of joint sleeve. Concluded that brake effect was reduced for a split second at the narrow point and what I was feeling was the return of full effect at the joint. It's didn't feel at all good, giving an impression that under really heavy braking the front wheel would lock.

If it's anything like the rims I've just discarded it could be caused by distortion near the joint. I lapped smooth a small step at the joints with fine emery paper laid on a piece of plate glass but that made little difference so I laid a steel straight edge on the rims which highlighted slight narrowing of the rim width just beyond either end of joint sleeve. Concluded that brake effect was reduced for a split second at the narrow point and what I was feeling was the return of full effect at the joint. It's didn't feel at all good, giving an impression that under really heavy braking the front wheel would lock.
Good idea, I’ll get the tyre off and put a steel rule over the grabby bit.

If the rim is really true, then think tyres. Maybe the pads are too near the tyre; as you put on the brakes they go inwards and slightly upwards and could be hitting an imperfection in the tyre. If so, bringing the pads down a tad in the slots might work.

Back