Weird Sachs Maillard freewheel lockring

onyerbike531

Retro Guru
Hello forum people

I just wanted to ask if anyone has ever seen a 6 pin freewheel lock ring before.
I have a 1989 Peugeot Camargue with a Sachs Maillard 6 speed freewheel that has the most unusual lock ring with 6 recesses for a removal tool. I'm asking this because I have broken a drive side spoke and cannot replace the damn thing because I have no way of getting the freewheel off. Anyone got any advice, I did try and jimmy a spoke in and made a bit of a mess of the drilled spoke hole in the hub and the spoke was a write off.
Will I have to break the freewheel off and start over again or will I have trouble? should I just save up for a replacement wheelset?

Thank you

As THM says, a pic is a real help. Never came across a 6 spline tool but given they did the Helicomatic system nothing is impossible lol

Helicomatic. Mmmmmm. Lovely. Just fitted a nos one to the gran sport. Easy to remove.

Re:

Yeah I know all about the Helicomatic cassette jobby, I used to have one, mine was a right pain haha. It would have been a great idea if they'd used bigger ball bearings.
Same, I'd never seen a six slot/pin before I got this bike.
It's a real shame because it's a reliable wheel bearing wise and the gearing ratios it gives is perfect for what I do.

OK I will try and upload a pic once I've figured out how to resize the files

Thank you all

Re:

If it's a large flange hub, you can sometimes get enough access by removing the cogs from the freewheel body. This is done with a pair of large chain whips.

The only reference I can find to 'six prong tool' <insert suitable joke/ double entendre here> is a Suntour 'Microlight' as pictured

Attachments

• suntour tool.jpg
    suntour tool.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 374
From the BMX world

141178.jpg

Do what this utube guy says to remove freewheel. Although he does dismantle the freewheel you can rebuild it if you do not lose the ball bearings. I've done it myself and it works.
/www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsVL1XqZve8

Latest posts

Back