90's road frame into cyclocross / gravel

pencilman77

Retro Guru
Im considering my next project and i'd love to get hold of an old Dawes 531 racing frame like i had back in my younger days, but use it as the basis for a gravel or cyclocross build. My question is...is this a feasible idea? will an old racing type frame take the necessary slightly wider and stronger wheels etc?
Feedback much needed please as i dont want to head down a path of buying parts and quickly realising it wont work!

just fit decent tyres and you're away

file.php

Re:

A pure road frame will be tricky, but an existing cross/touring frame will work well, assuming it has cantilever brakes, or older centre-pulls.

It depends how hard you want to ride it or even race it. I use my Mercian KOM off road quite a bit and it is fine on gravel and dirt, just use a bit of respect for it. Wider tyres and slacker geometry usually make them a bit more stable and on gravel tracks the Mercian is super stable. My only concession is wanting to fit Mafac Racer brakes so I can fit more knobbly tyres now and again. Currently run 32mm Randonneurs with the limiting factor more the Shimano sidepulls than the frame. This to be fair was originally built as a Randonneur, go anywhere bike, not an off road build, there is plenty of purpose built bikes for that in the shed. It's horses for courses though, I don't baby it but then again I am not bunny hopping stairs either, or riding like a rad hipster, but a fast gravel bike, no problem.
I like my Mercian as it is a great machine but I wouldn't risk damaging it by going overboard and trying to ride it like I would a purpose built crosser, but for a machine that does both road and off road no problem.
Wheels that are strong but have some give and a properly secured locknut on your headset are essential ;)

Jamie

DSCN3777 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3801 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

3 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

8 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Better with 'touring' frame rather than 'racing'.

If it hasn't got mudguard eyes not likely to be enough clearance for fat tyres.

You might want mudguards too.

Also worth considering older frames (e.g. 70s/early 80s 531) built for 27" wheels, usually plenty of room for wide tyres.

Add deep drop dual pivot brakes and you'll have a highly practical machine.

Something like a Dawes Galaxy is probably quite a good base for this. Already made in 531. They originally had 27" wheels so there will be plenty of space for a 700c with 32mm tyres plus clearance for mud build up.

Latest posts

Back