Lo Pro frame sizing

mattsccm

Senior Retro Guru
I fancy a change to my TT bike and am thinking of looking for something a bit older. The latest frame isn't going to affect my dismal 10 times but it may look nicer than my boring carbon one. Maybe, maybe not, a lo pro frame. No how on do you size such a thing? As its going to be a frame only getting on it isn't an option.
Also do they work with TT extensions or do they pace you too low for those. Most lo pro's seem to be from the era before Lemond changed the game. Ask Fignon.
Your thoughts

You need to know the seat tube and top tube lengths. Parallel top tubes are straightforward. For sloping top tubes, the seat tube will be longer than normal. Take that into account so you can allow enough to get a seat post and saddle underneath you. You can do a little bit of trigonometry to get an idea how long the top tube would be if it didn't slope down and that's your effective length. I'll be lower at the front than normal because of the short headtube.

If you're thinking of using bullhorns like the old Mavic ones, bear in mind they're quite long. You might want to choose a shorter frame than you're used to because they will stretch you out another 50-75mm or so. Depends what you're comfortable riding.

Then you have a choice of wheels sizes to consider.. me I've got 24" front version :)

Nob":2go12876 said:
Then you have a choice of wheels sizes to consider.. me I've got 24" front version :)

I reckon it depends on how tall you are. Short stature riders didn't seem to get much advantage from a LoPro unless they had the 24" front wheel which meant carrying 2 sizes of spare tube (if you actually carried one that is although most riders did). Mine used 700c front and rear but I'm reasonably tall. My position wasn't that much different to a 'normal' bike and even then the use of a Cinelli sloping track stem helped a little.

Back in my team spannering days we used to work out the tube lengths by lining up a straight edge on the head tube placing a spirit level on the seat lug & a 2nd straight edge from the level to mark the head SE measuring from seat lug to mark on SE gave the top tube length, keep in mind the head angle will be shallower than a std diamond stye frame

Back