Folding tyres on old clincher rims - can?

RadNomad

Senior Retro Guru
1980s 700c alloy clincher rims. Is it OK to use modern kevlar beaded folding tyres? Must be safe to ride (cornering, braking etc). Anyone done it? Verdict? Thx!

Yes, i have done this (various Mavic MA series rims). I went back to wire bead because folding tended to be a tighter fit (sometimes ridiculously tight- one memorable pair of Michelin) and this made fixing punctures a pain at the roadside.

As long as it's a beaded rim it'll be fine. Some rims have smooth shoulders and they have a habit of lifting off those ones.

Jonny69":p5zd3z30 said:
As long as it's a beaded rim it'll be fine. Some rims have smooth shoulders and they have a habit of lifting off those ones.

ie - some Weinmanns particularly. Not even good for some beaded tyres at high pressure.

I've run a 32mm folding tyre on a rear Open 4 Ceramic (I realise these ar early 90s) with my 100kg on board (plus bags/lock and usual crap) and could get around the mini roundabout at the top of the road doing a sharp right hander at 18mph without any issues.

no problem with a 28mm folder on the front of my daily with an MA2 that is on there currently either.

Latest posts

Back