merlin

dianet

Retro Newbie
does anybody know where I could find out more info on my merlin racing bike, any help much appreciated.
thanks dianet

Re: merlin frame numbers

I've just acquired what the seller assures me is an early Merlin frameset, built by the Merlini Bros in Clerkenwell, London, before the name was sold to Bob Jackson. It certainly looks like a Merlin of that date, but the frame number, 4200220 (stamped on the nearside dropout) seems rather odd, and doesn't tally with the number (18445) on the steerer tube. Any information as to its identity would be much appreciated! Cheers, Bob

Thanks, Terry - the frame (unlike yours!) has had a pretty drastic - bad - respray, so all the decals have gone, and it'll need redoing from scratch. If the seller hasn't already removed it from his website, I'll send you a link; failing that, I'll try to post some of my own pics. Rear dropout width, by the way, is 110 mm. Regards, Bob

Re:

Hi Bob, I think I found it, one of vintagemanic2013's pile. It does look at first glance a Merlin Internationale, but I've not found one with only two cutouts in the lower head lug, but that's not say it isn't, it will need further investigation, as it does look very much like a 40's Merlin. There is a good Flickr pool on Merlins https://www.flickr.com/groups/2130239@N21/ and I think it is still active, it maybe worth posing a question there. It is a difficult period to nail down any info, but keep digging. Terry

That's cool. My first thought was that Vintagemaniac meant 'Mercian' rather than 'Merlin' because of the long tang on the lower head-lug along the underside of the down-tube, but she assured me it was the real deal, and she knows her stuff. However, I don't want to put repro Merlin decals on it until I'm satisfied that it's the genuine article - so I'll do as you suggest and keep digging! Many thanks for your help - Regards, Bob

Latest posts

Back