Question on quill stems

designjacob

Dirt Disciple
Hello,

Just finishing off my first retro build so i am a bit of a beginner when it comes to anything which includes friction shifting and quill stems.

I am looking for a quill stem that allows me to have a lower insertion than my current one is this possible i am guessing i just need the bottom part shorter anyone got any suggestions on stems with a lower bottom part.

Current minimum hight of my 3T stem is below.

Cheers

U3iBc2B.jpg

Is there something else in the steerer tube preventing this from going down any further as it looks like it should drop another inch. Is the tubing Columbus SLX per chance ?

Good point i will check once i get home.

I think it may be slx it doesn't have any slx columbus badge super light frame though supposedly built by Rauler.

kingbling":30x34ltn said:
Is there something else in the steerer tube preventing this from going down any further as it looks like it should drop another inch. Is the tubing Columbus SLX per chance ?

I took a look down the headtube and there was nothing that could cause it to block the stem but it kept getting stuck at exactly the same point.

I sanded down just with some 400 grit sandpaper for a little bit and lubed it up and managed to fit it down with my puny cyclists upper body strength.

Will make a new thread for some pics when finished going to be a beauty :)

Back