Frame logo differs from the framebuilder? 531 vintage frame

jjbedford

Retro Newbie
hi, I am trying to identify who made this 1970 frame. I have been told it was made by Ted Woodall (could be Ted Jnr or Senior), who built frames for Leader Cycle Works, Croydon, and this may well be true, but I'd love any info that anyone has.
I am told it is not a Frederick Pratt, but the name on the frame says Frederick, written in the same font as Frederick Pratt's Shop sign.
The head badge Logo says 'A Pratt Special'.
Apparently, it was not unusual for a frame builders' name not to be on the frame, and the name of the shop that the bike was built for, to have their logo and badging on the frame.
Can anyone shed some light on this. I can share some photos of my orange frame, and one other complete bike that is in what I would call "old english white".
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Attachments

• frame, left hand side (resized).jpg
    frame, left hand side (resized).jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 604
  • frederick pratt_bicycles 2.jpg
    frederick pratt_bicycles 2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 605
Could be a respray with Frederick transfers applied or it was built by Ted Woodall for Fredericks. A lot of itinerant framebuilders made frames for anyone who paid them

Re. Chainring guide

Sorry but I got the picture of the White bike from the internet, I have never seen a chainring guide like this before.

I think it's probably an Osgear one (or similar). Not as classy as the Campag one Nob!

$_3.JPG

Yep

Latest posts

Back