Information needed on full chrome raleigh.

Mohrs

Retro Newbie
I previously had a falcon panther frame which needed a total respray due to be left outside for a extended amount of time. I've sanded it down and primed it and have found it's got quite a few dents to the frame and going to cost me a lot more to restore than I previously thought. Decals going for £25 on ebay!

I've found a different frame which is being dropped off to me tomorrow morning (No pictures just yet). It was an impulse buy due to the lack of information I can find on the bike, the only decent source of information being this website.

http://glorydays.cc/shop/bikes/raleigh/chrome/

It is the exact same frame as that, included is also one of the original wheels and the brake calipers. I asked the seller for the registration number and they only thing he could find is on the seat tube 'NA3029668'. I found this to be made in Nottingham in January 1973. I checked the catalogue of that year and the bike doesn't seem to be in there. The closest thing I could find the resemble the bike would be a Raleigh professional MK II.

Would anyone happen to know what frame I've picked up here?

The guy says the chrome is literally immaculate and not one spot of rust.

Fingers crossed.

Looks like an Carlton Cobra dressed up as a Raleigh for export before the Crespera lugs came in.

Shaun

After receiving the bike today, the past owner told me there was a 'Blue lacquer' that he peeled off a year ago or so to make the bike full chrome. Looking at some of the photos on google of the carlton cobra I can see a few with the blue he mentioned.

It has a raleigh headbadge and the only codes I can find are on the seat tube as before mentioned and a 's' on the bottom bracket.

Found a thread on another forum and he has the exact same bike as mine except with a Carlton headbadge and different code with it.

Here's the number position on another frame. Is it like yours?

file.php

They came in red..

main.php

and blue

MIKESPICS115.jpg

Red one was five speed and the other was ten speed from the factory (I think).

I had one as my first proper racing bike, I have a Cobra Frame in the garage.......in the early more black livery

5x3eaq.jpg

Shaun

Thanks Shaun, you've hit the nail on the head there. Code is exactly the same as the one you showed. Mine must have been the blue one at some point but the blue and the decals has been removed. It also has a braze-on for the rear derailleur so would signify 10 speed.

I'll post some photos up when I have it complete.

Hello Shaun, you wouldn't happen to know what BB I would need would you? I've measured the BB shell being at 70mm which would mean I need an Italian BB. I've also read elsewhere that the threading could be 26 tpi rather 24 tpi, I've not been able to find any other information.

Mohrs":1kuoy98s said:
Hello Shaun, you wouldn't happen to know what BB I would need would you? I've measured the BB shell being at 70mm which would mean I need an Italian BB. I've also read elsewhere that the threading could be 26 tpi rather 24 tpi, I've not been able to find any other information.

Should be standard British BB 68mm shell and 24tpi.

My best guess is the bottom bracket is raleigh 26 tpi. Is the right hand bearing cup flush with the shell? Does it have the Raleigh octagonal headset also 26 tpi?

Keith

Re:

So I don't know if you'd consider that flush with the frame. It's the old cotter pin right? That's the only part of the bottom bracket that can with the bike.

I've remeasured and it's definitely 70mm, unless I'm measuring wrong...?

Thanks for all the replies and help guys.

Just tried uploading a photo many times but can't due to the file being too big...

Latest posts

Back