anyone else have trouble finding the correct BB?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
What do you all do about finding the correct BB for older cranks? They seem to be in short supply, and those that are available on ebay are always very expensive. I guess BBs have worn out and pitted, while cranks will outlast several BBs if looked after properly.

I'm currently looking for an english threaded 111mm ISO (campag) BB for some zeus supercronos cranks, and I also need an italian threaded 115mm ISO BB for some ofmega super competizione.

Wiggle have token square taper ISO BBs in 111mm listed, but they're out of stock :(

shimano square taper BBs are readily available - do I just give in and find one of those in the length I need to keep a decent chainline?

Japanese and Italian square tapers are different - have a look on Sheldon Brown. A recent post here reproduced an old article about Campagnolo BBs - I think I described it as a Rosetta stone so try searching on that.

I know they're different, and I have a copy of that article. My problem isn't knowing which BB I need, it's finding the right one (not helped by having zeus and ofmega chainsets, for which I haven't found any sort of table or exact BB specification)

shimano square tapers are still made in plenty of sizes, but the only ISO taper BBs still made are campag and token, and only in 102 and 111mm. The campag ones are expensive, and the token ones don't seem to be available.

While I'd like to use the correct BB, it seems the only option (without spending a small fortune or waiting ages for one to come up) is to use a shimano BB. Not too much of a problem really, as ISO cranks on JIS spindles work OK (certainly better than the other way around). Chainline might be slightly off, but I can live with a couple of mm on either side.

I was just wondering what everyone else does about sourcing BBs?

Re:

I feel your pain. When I was putting my 1978 Lloyd 'clubman's' bike together I chose to use some Campag cranks as I already had them. Of course, that was the year Campag fundamentally changed the specifications of their bottom brackets. :facepalm:

In the end I built something that looks right and has all the correct externally visible parts, but in reality the thing is a hybrid of cups bearings and axle that never actually left the camag factory in that configuration.

I've used Tifosi BB's with Campag cranks successfully, both BSA and Italian threaded.

BITD we put all sorts of cranks on all sorts of BB without problems of something falling off, just had to mess around with lengths to get the chainline right and be careful with thick / thin cups.

Shaun

Thanks! Will check out the tifosi BBs. Shaun, I have plenty of italian and french threaded cups, but no english threaded ones at all, strangely. If I can find a sealed unit that will fit then I'd prefer that to be honest - less hassle in the long run.

Will one of the Shimano UN 55 series fit the bill? Crank might be a couple of mm sticky out than ISO though........

Shaun

Re:

Excuse my terrible memory Shaun, but didn't you contribute many of the bits that are now the BB in my Lloyd?

Shimano tapers are not quite right for Campag cranks. I think they can work, but I remember avoiding them when I built my Basso.

Hi Neil,. Yep, I had a spare odd black Campag GS axle which I let you have. Never sure what it was.... BITD the manufacturing tolerances were not good so not sure it mattered LOL

Campag cranks sit on Shimano axles as they are the same 2 degree taper but the Shimano axles are a bit wider at the start of the taper and the Campag cranks just don't quite seat home by about 2mm. Makes no odds as they lock into place, just the chainline which might be a bit off.

Very early Shimano axles were a bit weird but dissapeard quickly, don't mention Suntour, God knows what they used, whatever they dreamt up usually :)

Cheers

Shaun

Re:

That's the kiddie. All the age related bits were stainless, but I just could not get one the right length, not without selling many internal organs that I still have a use for. Your axle fitted perfectly and has been doing occasional / sunny day service ever since. Thank you.

I knew there was a 2mm difference, but I thought it was at the other end of the taper. So, good to know the most commonly available BB can be pressed into service.

Back