Raleigh Record Sprint Replacing Derailleur with Internal Hub

Whofred

Retro Newbie
Hi!

I've managed to find a late 70's Record Sprint locally for a decent price. I was just wondering what the likelihood is of being able to swap the stock derailleur gears out for an older (mid 80s) Sturmey Archer 5 or 8 speed internal hub, or if it's even worth the trouble. Any help would be much appreciated!

There is a guy I have met out riding who has done it to and old Peugeot Athena. He has 5 on one side of the hub and 2 on the other.

Has made up his own brackets for the gear cables and has levers from a womans 10spd on the stem to change. so it is doable. He loves it as he is to old (his words) to bend down and change gear.

if you can find the early two cable SA 5 spds, they run a two lever system, one cable each side,,the levers are usually stem fitted. odd shifting pattern of your trying to run through, since the right hand gives the three gear shift and the left hand makes it a close or wide ratio set. I've done thousand mile tours on them, not a set of ratios for speeding but idiot proof for just keeping going.
If its of any interest, the internals on the first five star are almost the same as the FW. Jack Lauterwasser used to make a conversion axle kit to turn a FW into a 5speed. pulling on the left hand side instead of overtensioning the right hand had the benefit of eliminating the inherent design flaw of the FW and its very fragile pullrod.

Back