1980's Vintage Raleigh Clubman?

Markone

Retro Guru
I am going to look at a 1980's Vintage Raleigh Clubman in excellent condition on Friday morning with a view to bringing it home!

Original catalogue pic and specs,

http://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalo ... Rapide.jpg

Reynolds 531 main tubes,but not throughout the frame and possibly the forks,too I believe?

What is the current consensus on this 80's Raleigh,a worthwhile vintage to own,or not?

I had one a few years ago same spec as your link with Suntour rather than the earlier Campagnolo and to say I regret selling it would be an understatement. Very nice bike to ride.

stevevw":mbftv2ir said:
I had one a few years ago same spec as your link with Suntour rather than the earlier Campagnolo and to say I regret selling it would be an understatement. Very nice bike to ride.

Thanks for the encouragement.The one I'm going to look at is Campagnolo and exactly the same specs as in the link.The bike is all original,complete and going by the sales pics very close to new condition!

The seller said it was owned by his father who did "275 dry miles" on it and then put it away? I hope when I see it in person I am as impressed with its condition as the pics suggest...

Just be aware its 27 wheels so whatch the clearances - if you decide to change to 700c, you will need long drop brakes and the BB will be lower.

The shifters are band on too with no frame braze-ons.

But none of that is an issue if you dont intend to change a thing!

Mine was a frame only and a bit of a headache to sort - here it is with some crappy spare forks

clubman_145.jpg

legrandefromage":dosvr4x1 said:
Just be aware its 27 wheels so whatch the clearances - if you decide to change to 700c, you will need long drop brakes and the BB will be lower.

The shifters are band on too with no frame braze-ons.

But none of that is an issue if you dont intend to change a thing!

Mine was a frame only and a bit of a headache to sort - here it is with some crappy spare forks

clubman_145.jpg

I don't intend to change anything other than replace the original full size front and back mudguards with a sleeker and more aesthetically appealing pair.

Nice looking bike you've built,pending flattering forks! :)

stevevw":ws6elw95 said:

I've still got it Steve, it's a great bike!

Re:

Twang is the right word, mine seems to hum as it goes along; not something that I have experienced on my other bikes but I am sure I can hear a sort of ringing as I ride it. The Clubman is a cracking starter classic and highly recommended.

Martin Rattler":kmlhh4yw said:
stevevw":kmlhh4yw said:

I've still got it Steve, it's a great bike!

So glad you still have it.

Latest posts

Back