Touring on a Racer

scarrabri

Devout Dirtbag
Hi is it possible to Tour on a Racing bike,and is a Racing bike strong enough to carry a little bit of weight in a couple of panniers,,Brian.

What racing bike?

Some i wouldn't even begin entertaining the thought of putting panniers on. Others I'd not bat an eyelid.....

mattr":a11ezw5r said:
What racing bike?

Some i wouldn't even begin entertaining the thought of putting panniers on. Others I'd not bat an eyelid.....

Hi i have just got hold of another Team Raleigh Banana bike which has a label on it that said controlled carbon cycle tube which probably means its a copy, i cant find much sign of rust inside the tubing after removing the seat post, but it would be difficult to know about other parts which are not quite accessible,

She rides really well,and i was hoping i could use her with a couple of small panniers on for short distance touring on good roads if you can find any in the uk ,best wishes Brian.

The short chainstays can make heel clearance a problem with panniers, while the racier geometry can make the handling tetchy when loaded.

As yours is a copy version you have the best chance as the geometry was probably slackened to make it appeal to ordinary punter.

In the end the only way is to give it a try. Another alternative to consider is a Carradice saddlebag, which seems to affect handling less and will not cause odd frame flex.

credit-card touring (the kind where you sleep in buildings and eat in cafes) is usually ok. Fully loaded tent-and-camping-stove, not so much

Re:

I've been camping in france (went to watch the tour) on a full-out aluminium race bike. There were no mudguard eyes, so used p-clips to put on a rack and panniers. I had no bar bag or front panniers, just the rear.

Like Hamster says, I did mount the panniiers as far back as poss cos of heel clearance. And I put 28mm Michelin world tour tyres on. Also, the terrain was flattish (Dunkirk area and a bit inland), so no Alpine passes that might have shown up any handling flaws.

Ive also been to the pyrennees on a steel race bike with panniers (no camping gear this time) and we did do some passes and I had no problems. The descent from the Port d'envilira into Andorra was just great as I recall.

I've never actually owned a proper tour bike. More recently I tend to use a roadified steel MTB for touring

Re:

eroica%202015%20602%20copy.jpg

a weeks camping, less cooking gear (as I was in Italy !!)
the rack is a seatpost clamp and seat stay struts cheapo thing from evilbay, I've always enjoyed the "adventure" of cycle touring, a racing bike just adds to it, :)

Re: Re:

phoog":1z3zm1vz said:
eroica%202015%20602%20copy.jpg

a weeks camping, less cooking gear (as I was in Italy !!)
the rack is a seatpost clamp and seat stay struts cheapo thing from evilbay, I've always enjoyed the "adventure" of cycle touring, a racing bike just adds to it, :)

Hey i already have one that fits the same way as yours does which is light weight and fixes to the seat post and will also fasten lower down and its just sitting there lol and it has panniers already fasten to it although i already know they are not hundred percent water proof but i am sure there is a cover , and thats just made my day ,love your bike and your set up very best wishes Brian,

Re: Re:

pigman":38z0z4ag said:
I've been camping in france (went to watch the tour) on a full-out aluminium race bike. There were no mudguard eyes, so used p-clips to put on a rack and panniers. I had no bar bag or front panniers, just the rear.

Like Hamster says, I did mount the panniiers as far back as poss cos of heel clearance. And I put 28mm Michelin world tour tyres on. Also, the terrain was flattish (Dunkirk area and a bit inland), so no Alpine passes that might have shown up any handling flaws.

Ive also been to the pyrennees on a steel race bike with panniers (no camping gear this time) and we did do some passes and I had no problems. The descent from the Port d'envilira into Andorra was just great as I recall.

I've never actually owned a proper tour bike. More recently I tend to use a roadified steel MTB for touring

Hi wonderful it looks like it is quite possible according to a few folk on here commonsense and good terrain and a racer might be ok ,thanks for your post,its always interesting to read of other folks adventures best wishes Brian.

cce":1lcq8mpl said:
credit-card touring (the kind where you sleep in buildings and eat in cafes) is usually ok. Fully loaded tent-and-camping-stove, not so much

Thats not a bad idea but i like the idea of camping,best wishes Brian

Latest posts

Back