Lemond TSX "Z Team Replica"

bilko6

Dirt Disciple
I have a Lemond TSX bike from, I think, 1991.
My understanding is that these discontinued frames from the Billato Brothers workshop were sold off to bike shops around that time.

My question is can anyone tell me what the little pip on the head tube is for? Also, the cable routes through the top tube. Can anyone tell me if there is any likliehhod that this is an ex-team frame. I know the carbon frames have various prefixes denoting there place in the pecking order : did the same apply to steeel frames?

Re:

If its a pip on the back of the head tube its so that you can fit a pump under the top tube and have a bottle cage on the seat tube.

I know next to nothing about Lemond frames, but can't envisage a pump peg on a pure team race frame

Re:

The "pip" is half way down the head tube so I don't think it's for a pump.
However, on looking at old photos (see below) it looks like it could be where they fixed the race number plate.

Attachments

• 554c.jpg
    554c.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 774
as far as i'm aware pips behind head tubes are for race numbers, god knows exactly how they worked though? any takers?

The TVT in the picture doesn't have a frame number boss on it and the number is attached to the top tube using a clip.

Steel frames with pips on the headtube are indeed pump pegs, something you wouldn't expect to see on a team frame. Team frames would have had a boss on the top tube, near to the headtube, to attach a number.

Re:

Info on steel Lemond team bikes is pretty hard to come by.

The replicas were (most likely) made by the Bilato Brothers, as were the team frames.

The TSX frames used by the team were most likely used on the classics and other races that were hard on frames. Climbing stages and fast races were done on the lighter SL frames.

My frame also has a pip on the back of the head tube, as do the few others I have found pictures of.

Mine

DSC_0133_zpsxvviowr1.jpg

I have many of the bits I need to build mine up with period parts, but the last owner had a security number etched into the centre of the top tube and I have not yet repaired the damage. I will though...... soon.

Re: Re:

NeilM":6qjq9ttx said:
Info on steel Lemond team bikes is pretty hard to come by.

The replicas were (most likely) made by the Bilato Brothers, as were the team frames.

The TSX frames used by the team were most likely used on the classics and other races that were hard on frames. Climbing stages and fast races were done on the lighter SL frames.

My frame also has a pip on the back of the head tube, as do the few others I have found pictures of.

Mine

DSC_0133_zpsxvviowr1.jpg

I have many of the bits I need to build mine up with period parts, but the last owner had a security number etched into the centre of the top tube and I have not yet repaired the damage. I will though...... soon.

Yeah, yeah, soon schmoon :roll: :LOL: :LOL:

Back