Claud Butler With a family connection

continental tim

Retro Newbie
Hi new here this is my project

Picked up this frame on eBay UK Claud Butler new allrounder dated Feb. 1954, first project bike. It won’t be true to the original but as close as I can on my budget! I want to be able to use it when finished not just look at.

The family connection is, shortly after Claud butler went broke and sold out to Holdsworth in 1957 he came and lived in our house in Penge southeast london, my father rented him a room. I was only a baby at the time but he used to give my brother ball bearings to play with he probably swallowed some!

Progress so far

Needs the clear coat now then i start building and spending.

just damaged the paintwork doing the clear coat got to do it all again! Not Happy.

Tim

continental tim":qzajpv8m said:
I want to be able to use it when finished not just look at.

A nice bit of history and your Butler is looking stunning. Welcome aboard :)

Its refreshing to hear someone who is building to ride. I despair of the number wall hangings that never turn a wheel! Its a bit like having a dog and never taking it for a walk :LOL:

That looks brilliant! Did you do the paint yourself?
Just watch out your brother might want it in compensation for being fed ball bearings.
Really lovely work, please keep us updated and definitely more info and pictures welcome.
I just realised this is in the road section proper, you should maybe stick a new thread in the readers rides section.
Jamie

Midlife":1k2mm5cq said:
Very nice :). Did you have it re chromed ?

Shaun
The chrome is the original not perfect but looks ok

unfortunately i have just messed up the clear coat and going to have to start again from bare metal more graphics required. anyway i made a couple of mistakes so it will be better 2nd time round. A bit annoying though!

Very nice :). I'd be a bit wary of how little stem is in the steerer, is that an AVA stem? Not the most robust at times.

Shaun

Latest posts

Back