Raleigh 531 Fork

Freezycold

Retro Newbie
I recently got a Raleigh 531 and was really enjoying riding it when I unfortunately had an accident. Another cyclist thought it would be a good idea to cross my lane without looking...on one of the new cycle superhighways :roll:.

As a result I got a nasty concussion, a stay in hospital and some broken bike parts. I've managed to find the bits I need to replace the handle bars and the front tyre but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a replacement front fork. I bought a new one which I was told would be fine but it's just not right. Does anyone have any ideas where I can get a proper replacement? Ideally in London! It doesn't have to be brand new.

Here's a pic of the fork

UH491DW.jpg

Hi, sounds nasty. Hope you are better :)

Is the other cyclist paying for your damage? I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. Brick lane chrome forks are about £80 but not 531.

Shaun

Well, I woke up in hospital the next day with no memory of what had happened and £80 in my wallet, which apparently he'd stuffed in. That probably won't cover the repairs though :(

The main problem with the fork I tried is that the wheel is a little too far from the frame so it looks and feels weird.

New pair of forks from a frame builder is about £150 plus paint plus delivery if needed. Then at least you get a pair that's going to fit.

What make if frame us it?

Shaun

531 forks by themselves can be quite hard to find in the right size. It's all about the steerer length. They do come up but you'll have to keep an eye on eBay for the right size and be patient. You might find it easier to get another 531 Raleigh frame in the same size and steal the fork off it if you absolutely want to save the old frame.

Re:

It looks like the crown has bent, probably proves the blades are truly 531. Back in the 50s I would have stuffed a 7/8 bar down the fork column and given the blades a tug.

Theoretically possible to fit a new crown, but probably cheaper to source a frame.

Keith

Re: Re:

keithglos":7icqbdw6 said:
It looks like the crown has bent, probably proves the blades are truly 531. Back in the 50s I would have stuffed a 7/8 bar down the fork column and given the blades a tug.

Theoretically possible to fit a new crown, but probably cheaper to source a frame.

Keith

Never mind the 50's back in the 70's we would have had a go at straightening those :)

Sorry to be a pessimist but here's a quick tale of forks.......

I bought this and thought getting some forks would be easy........

f82e171467.jpg

Really nice frame, dead light and TT so right up my street but no forks.

The first set I bought were Zeus 2000 and all chrome but the brake drop looked all wrong

The second set were better but the fork rake was not right

The third set were sort of semi aero 753 from a peugeot but just looked too modern.

The frame is sulking in the garage while I think about biting the bullet and having a set made to match..

Shaun

Yep, forgot to mention you need to have the frame checked out if you are going to keep it. Could well be twisted looking at those forks.

Shaun

Back